Which antifreeze for Corsa?

XCDave

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got a Corsa 1.0 12v (first gen, 'B' I think - 1999) which needs topping up with water/antifreeze mix. The tank has red stains around the top, so I thought red, but then the liquid that's in looks very weak blue. Does anyone know what type it takes?
I don't know about cars...

bugger the antifreeze, its summer now (allegedly). Just stick some water in. Is it major loss, or just routine top-up?

Thanks guys. It's just a top-up. Do I need to get some distilled water or will run-of-the-mill tap water be fine?
My talking Haynes Manual (dad) is out of the country.

antifreeze isnt just for winter! it is a coolant addative,it changes the temp at which water boils hence helps over heating problems,it also helps prevent corrosion in the cooling system and prevents damage to the water pump etc.it is NOT just to stop your engine freezing :roll:
it is very poor advice to say just top up with water...though if its just a cupful then use distilled water.

pigman":252c4yst said:
bugger the antifreeze, its summer now (allegedly). Just stick some water in. Is it major loss, or just routine top-up?

Not just antifreeze though - it's coolant additive. Not only does it depress the freezing point (which stops the coolant freezing, expanding and cracking the block or head) but it also raises the boiling point (which prevents boiling, cavitation and hot spots leading to head warpage.

But then it's just a Corsa!

Just for top-ups, tap water will do, though.

Head-warpage?! You have no idea how all this chat has warped my head.
It might be just a Corsa to the untrained eye, but step inside and you will see that it is actually a haven of Scandinavian power metal in a world full of incessant office 'phone calls and big ironing piles.
So, red antifreeze?

Back