Bike rack

Dar Kuma

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know the title isn't really off topic but the content sort of is.

ok, so I put a deposit on a smallish boat the other day and I though that I would need a bike rack to hold a bike, The problem is that there really aren't any bike racks for boats....
westerlytigers.png

the boat pictured isn't mine but the same type.

I thought a bit and came up with a rough draft of what I need
ftw.png

The next step is currently underway as I contacted just the man for this type of Job and the bloke is a legend in his own right, Yep.

I contacted Frank The Welder and sent him some pics, one of the boat and the rather crude rough draft pictured above.

I'll let you know what happens but he's already said he will look into it.

REKIBorter":26gi13it said:
Salt water + bikes ➡️ :(

My thoughts exactly. Marina to pub transportation is the only valid reason I have come up with for having a folding bike - and even then I'd rather walk.

I have quite a lot of experience of this, and while I hate to say it, there's no sensible way of storing a bike on a boat like yours.
It's dangerous, really; the bike and its associated rack is something you could trip over and/or catch yourself on. I bent the handlebars of my On-One when as I was going up the K&A and it was caught under a tree once.
I'd suggest a Brompton. :(

Yeah I know, But I have thought about this and the rack would be fixed to the rear end of the boat out the way.

The bike would be aluminium like the rack so rust isn't going to be a problem :cool:

It won't have an aluminium chain. Or bearings. Or cables.
And if you're moored up, there's a strong chance the bike will get crushed by whatever is moored behind you. It's going to get caught in stuff or squashed.
But I'm interested to see what you do, so do let me know how you get on!

Been out and about today and by the looks of it the boat I was interested in isn't really practical since it has a fixed keel.
Went down to 2 marinas where the tide was out, I really need something with twin keel, or a cabin cruiser ideally.
I located one which would be ideal and pretty much set up, but its a long way from where I live so transporting it is something I'm looking into at the moment.

I'll also be going back to see the person I was going to buy the sail boat from and see what he can come up with, Or try to get my deposit back , It wasn't much in the scheme of things but if its non refundable that's just the way it goes.

I'll just have to keep looking....

Back