Buying hydraulic discs 2nd hand - have I just been unlucky?

mk1Matt

Retro Guru
Currently running my 2nd Magura Julie up front. The first was bought from eBay and once once bled, was ok for a while until it started leaking from the piston int he lever. Got another complete front brake from eBay again and it was ok for a bit and now this one is leaking from the piston and the thread where the hose joins the lever. It's also got very little power so I'm not confident at all about using it.

The rear has been ok. A bit squeaky though.

Based on the above story, which of the following statements are true:

1) - Buying 2nd hand hydraulic discs is a stupid idea - these things should only be bought new.

2) - It's ok - Julie's are rubbish so just replace them with Avid's/Hopes/Formulas etc.

3) - I've been exceptionally unlucky.

if second hand hyrolics were so bad there would be no 2nd hand car or motorcycle market . stuff wears out , some stuff is a bit shite .

I've got a replacement for a Julie on the way to me...

I've not had any problems with mine (also bought second hand), but it's not brilliant tbh. The only advantage over a v-brake has been in the mud! Hoping for more from some Hopes. :)

my julies were never any better than ok.

last few sets of discs have been hope and have really got on with them.

a friend of mune sweary by avid and recomends the juicy 5's as being good brakes at a decent price. think they are about 60 quid each last time i looked

I must admit I am very much put off by my experience. I'm very wary of seals leaking and all that stuff. So, unfortunately Hope's are way out of the question, unless I can get a set that are guaranteed to be ok (and that don't cost too much).

Been looking at brakes from the big S. LX and SLX seem reasonably priced. Quite tempted. Any opinions?

I'm just taking a break from fitting some second hand M4s (£50ish) - will let you know how it turns out...

mk1Matt":h681dtni said:
How the F*** did you get a set of M4's for £50?

Just the front from the ever reliable(?!) fleabay. Disc & pads in good nick though; thought I'd be looking for new consumables! It's more than I need really, was after a mini, but you take what you can get sometimes - when the money's right! :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back