rojo

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi

I have got a set of wheels of ebay and the seller has now told me that one of the spokes has split the rim. So will need a rebuild, so was wondering how easy is it to build a new wheel up??

might get shot down in flames for this but i have replaced a few rims like this...

get new rim and line up the valve hole with the old rim making sure its the same way round (nipple holes are either side of the centre)

one spoke at a time undo the nipple from the old rim, transfer across to the new rim.

do this 32 ish times and your new rim will be attached to the hub!

take to a bike shop, act dumb abd ask them to true and dish the wheel. they will love you

Arh cool, how much would a rim cost as will say want a refund of that amount??

I've just built a wheel today, hadn't done this for 14 years but it all came flodding back in the end, wheel turned out good!

There are plenty of guides on the internet, there is no harm in trying and seeing how it ends up! If all else fails you will probably still learn how to true up a buckled wheel ;)

Patience, a bit of knowledge and a "feel" for the spokes is all you need, have a go!
:D

I don't have a jig so i used an old frame and a set of calipers clamped to it, homemade jig sorted.

Ok thanks for reply s how much do rims cost roughly??

lewis1641":vve7d8p3 said:
might get shot down in flames for this but i have replaced a few rims like this...

Not at all, the rim swapping technique you described is the best way to replace an existing rim. I've done loads of wheels like that, and I used to take them to my LBS for trueing and tensioning for a few quid.
Nowadays I got a trueing stand and I build my wheels from scratch which is very satisfying and a lot easier than many people would have you believe.

Gil_m's website has a good step by step guide to get you started:
http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk/wheelbuilding.html

I've heard of the taping one rim to the other and it seems common practise to do when youre learning to build
Ive never tried myself and applaud you for giving it a go :cool:
I really really must learn this year,let us know how you get on ,with any problems/solutions you find along the way

Thanks for all the tips guys, think i might have a job on by what your saying. What rim am i best of getting?? The same as the damaged one??

Right this is what i am getting Mavic 220 Gray wheelset, XT non-disc hubs, (no cassette on the rear) and quick release skewers. Am i best of getting another mavic 220??

Back