Big blokes on Carbon?

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Got a new frame arriving and i've been avoiding the black stuff like the plague for years now as i've always been wary of it. Main reasons being i'm around 215lbs, its glued and if it takes an impact in the wrong direction its fooked. I always build my bikes with good quality but reliable componentry......but i was thinking of trying some carbon bars and maybe a seatpost for my next project as carbon technology has moved on considerably so the question is are there any big blokes out there riding with carbon componentry and what have your experiences been like? cheers dude. Stew

i can recommend easton carbon bars, i have a low rise and mid rise pair, and both of these bikes take a fair bit of stick. they have both suffered abuse at bmx tracks, trail centres etc. i was wary of them at first, but i forget i have them on the bikes during the ride, so that must be a good thing?

still wary of carbon seatposts tho. even my pretty stiff thomsons flex a fair bit.....

I have carbon forks on the front of my Van Nicholas, and as anyone thats been riding with me will tell you i don't go lightly on components, being a big lad as well. I've hammerd them and they have shown no sign of breaking.

Average Mark":8bai5qaq said:
I have carbon forks on the front of my Van Nicholas, and as anyone thats been riding with me will tell you i don't go lightly on components, being a big lad as well. I've hammerd them and they have shown no sign of breaking.

Carbon usually won't show any signs of breaking on the surface but who knows whats happening underneath?Thats why after a heavy stack most manufacturers recommend replacement.
I still love the stuff,I don't weigh that much though.

I got lots of carbon stuff on my frames. never had a problem but i'm only 67kgs

To be honest with you, I think the advantages weight advantages of carbon go away if you weigh more than 150lbs.
Mind you, my Karakoram has a carbon spacer. ;)

its more the shock absorption chris . less buzz

i know a rather large guy who races bmx and on his mtbs he has used carbon bars for years without a problem

Hi dude, yea i'm 200lbs big, i ride a carbon S works epic 06 + S works bars and bar ends (carbon), don't have any probs except when stopping my brakes get alittle hotter than most peoples :LOL: i didn't go for a carbon post, but thats just me being paranoid (witness to a carbon post snapping and bad accident about 15 years ago, swore i'd never fit one)
. . . other than that the black stuff is great if alittle boring in colour ;)

Im 212lb and ride a Merida full carbon framset,carbon bars,carbon railed saddle,no problems with it whatsoever.I kinda dissagree with chris667 though,the carbon bike climbs much better with me on top of it than my aluminium bikes,maybe just a personal thing.

I did write off a Zipp carbon rim hitting a pothole once,now that was an expensive lapse of concentration :oops:

Back