10-speed 105 and Ultegra on MTB

damian

Dirt Disciple
Am I crazy to consider this combination with a small 9-speed cassette?

I had these components after upgrading my Lemond and wifey's Specialized and it seems a shame to waste them, although the current prices of current 105 and Ultegra on eBay it's very tempting to auction them!

I'll use a double chainset as I've got very little use for a 'granny', if I want steep hills I'll use my bankrupt Saracen.

So am I crazy?

I had Ultegra mechs on my Proflex, very light and sweet shifting. I've got a 12-25 Ultegra cassette on my current modern build, changes are slicker than a big 11-34 cassette. I like it a lot. If I had a top pull triple front mech i'd put the mechs on my modern build aswell.

Just what I wanted to hear! I'll have to have a look for a 9-speed Ultegra/105/SRAM cassette now!

Anyone have a decent square taper double crankset?

i used 105 rear mechsw BITD and my fire mountain proudly sports one now

Gears

Just run a 36/24 or maybe 22 double up front on a 12-25 or 11-27 rear, save a bucket load of weight, shift loads smoother and run a short cage rear mech too!

Just remember that the pull per click is different with 10s and 9s, and it all gets a lot more finicky in general. I wouldn't advise trying to get 10s shifters to work with 9s cassettes for example. You'll probably get it to work - sort of - and then it'll all go off with the first bit of mud.

Also remember that road front mechs need different cable pull compared to MTB ones. The CTC website has good info on how to mod an MTB front mech to work with road shifters.

Why not get some 10 speed flat bar shifters and run 10 at the back?

You could even go for a modern Campag group.

18836.jpg

Dave_H":7xqvrlfg said:
You could even go for a modern Campag group.

11-speed rear could be interesting :D :D

So, just to be clear I can put a 10-speed cassette on a MTB hub and run a 10 speed chain with no issues?

I might have to 'move' the Ultegra off my Lemond and look for a nice new SRAM or Shimano to replace it.......result!

I'm sure the retro-Marin police might not approve of the changes to my 1990 Pine Mountain :D

Latest posts

Back