Coolest bikes in my garage

South Bound

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just taken delivery of 2 perfectly formed little Islabikes. They are really lovely little toys, easy to maintain (proper v-brakes/levers etc), sturdy and sooooo much lighter than the other heaps of junk we had.

I know these are a lot of money (around £150 ea), but they are great and have good resale. Do it, the kids are worth it. Mine are.

Funnily enough my daughter and I might be heading over on Sat. The pink betassled monster is on the way out in favour of the small Luath. Blue apparently, NOT Pink! :shock: ...I guess she's growing up...aged 5.

We also have a 12 inch wheeled Decathlon bike which has been fantastic.

beinn20sml-blue.jpg

I'm sure that's an XO rear mech :D

Granted, they're expensive, but good bikes are proper engineering and that costs!
All kids deserve a decent bike, IMO. Everything else is landfill in waiting.

chris667":2le849mb said:
Granted, they're expensive, but good bikes are proper engineering and that costs!
All kids deserve a decent bike, IMO. Everything else is landfill in waiting.

when my kids start cycling properly , maybe I will invest in a proper bike , but to go to the park and cycle round the garden , cheaper bikes are just perfect .

They handle better and the brakes work. Started my 2 year old on the balance bike, now he's on the middle one and happily riding 4 miles aged 3 1/2.

Islabikes ARE expensive compared to tat, but you get it back on resale when the gaspipe bike is worthless.

Proper engineering my eye, that little one hasn't even got a bottom bracket, quality control must be shocking :D . Sorry couldn't help it.

Wish I'd seen these last year! Got my (6yrs) son a GT stomper which is an excellent bike but weighs almost as much as my East Peak. I paid around £170 but would definately have paid an extra £30 or so for one of these babies. I think if you want to encourage your kids to bike with you, then the lighter the better as little legs struggle on the slightest inclines with a heavy steed (a bit like mine at the moment) :oops:

Back