I think something is wrong with my network?

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
I am convinced that there is something wrong with my computer. I use BT wireless home hub which is protected to connect to my network. I have been having a regular message each month from BT that I am exceeding my download limit..I dont really download much though. Dont even have limewire anymore.
Another thing is I keep finding wierd things in my address bar history. According to it today I have been on you tube searching for "lesbionic" videos.
I've checked in the control panel under network to check network computers and devices but it just comes up with my computer.

Before you laugh and say my mrs is clearly having sneaky trips to the island of lesbos....I know for a fact hasnt even been online as she is ill.

Anybody who can give me some guidance here...
Dan

can you not view a list of computers that have access to your network - DHCP user list, should be able to see the pc names. or try typing in "NET VIEW" in command prompt, also make sure ou are actually got a wep protection, although they can be cracked.

What security are you using on your wireless?

Could it be a virus? Might be worth doing a screen print of your task manager to see what applications are running.

Also what security do you have? Have you ran spybot search and destroy or anything like that?

My mate works in setting up networks and is very clued up in general ,including ethical hacking,which i must quickly add is work related ,as is digital recovery.
I've watched him 'snatch' a dozen networks out of thin air ,just by attaching a i can only describe as a small plastic box to him livingroom window

the programs he uses allow him to view all networks secure or not with in range.Should he want to he could crack into these secure networks,but hes one of the good guys so that isnt going to happen.
what he tells me is scary when it comes to wireless
I would never have it
Could be somebody with similar equipment but less ethics lives nearby :?

Or possibly[probably more like]your wireless frequency is crossing with the gay couple 4 doors down :LOL:
a crossing of wires somewhere
Phone BT first thing in the morning,tell them what you think might be happening[emphasize security at this always gets their attention ;) ]
And ask them for a new user / password and set-up disc
All the while hassling them that its all their fault and their supposedly secure network your paying them for,doesnt appear to be secure.
If you hassle bu**ery out of them they may give you 3 free months rental

PS
STOP ALL BANKING/PAYPAL
Run spybot,mcafee is very very,good but the more anti-spyware you run the better.
theres another type of anti-spyware that looks in the areas of the registry where these nasties hang about but i can remember its name :roll:
It reports all changes made but doesnt remove them ,this way you can tell whats good ,what isnt and take steps for removal
However ,DO NOT remove anything as all it not what it first appears.Or you can system dump onto a good tech forum[asktom] and they will point out any oddities to you and how to deal with them.

Without looking at your PC, I'd suggest you might have downloaded something accidentally.
There's a few of us Retrobike members who could talk you through what to do, but it's a bit like giving directions on how to trim a hedge over the phone. Lots of people will have different ideas on what's right, and they probably are, but it's confusing getting directions from several of us.
I suggest you join the safer networking forum here
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
do everything in this post with Spybot, Erunt and Hijack This! , and a helper will talk you through cleaning your system. It's all free.

And if you're using the the default WEP encryption on your homehub, change it soonest to WPA2.

WEP encryption isn't worth sh*t... It can be hacked by anybody with a spare 10 minutes.

Once sorted you might want to do Mac address filtering too, just to tighten things up.

If your getting strange things in your history and your wife believes your shock and or horror at the turn of events ;) then it sounds like you have indeed at some time accidently downloaded a nasty.

thanks guys....

and if it was my mrs going to the other side, well, i wish she would just tell me...as obviously.....I just want to watch :twisted:

Best thing is to turn off wireless and use wired networking. Then you only have to worry if someone splices in to your cable. ;) :LOL:

Back