Devon or Cornwall? Your thoughts please.

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Hi guys,
Wanting to take a weeks holiday in the UK this year. I have two daughters aged 4 and 2 and don't fancy 4-5 hours on a plane.

So, Devon or Cornwall??

I remember holidays from my early childhood down that way with affection, but it's been a while.

I'd like somewhere with plenty to do, things for the little ones to do, pref a sandy beach, I don't want to see a single chav or kiss-me-quick hat all week, not bothered about nightlife and probably won't be taking a bike (shame as Dartmoor looks good). It will be our first holiday together in four years so I want it to be a good one.

Your thoughts an experiences please oh wizen'd ones?

Cheers
Si

Myself, the Wife and Daughter just had a week in Rattery - Devon. Nearest big town was Totnes. had a fantastic time, plenty to do and worth it for Pennywells alone! especially if you have 2 daughters.

i prefer the north coast as the beaches appear to be bigger, Sennon is nice, Watergate bach is relativly chave free. Not sure on what they have for the little ones. I have the oppinion that Devon can be a little more Family friendly.

It does depend on what you want to do, Devons's more family biased. I'm only just in Devon (about 20m from Taunton) and everything is about an hours travelling at most so the kids don't get too bored in the car.

ATB

John

Grew up there most of the areas in devon and cornwall are really beautiful would stay near Totnes as its a good base to travel from as you have Dartmoor (which does rock !!) shame our not taking your bike. if it is beaches you are after then i would head toward cornwall maybe go as far as Penzance you have the eden project, outdoor theatre which i can't remember then name of.... Eiether that or look at the north coast of cornwall (better beaches)

STAY AWAY from the following

Newquey Chav city
Paignton/torquay Chav central on steriods very very very tacky
Plymouth

Hope this helps

outdoor theatre

Minnack theatre ;)

If you want beaches then North Devon or Cornwall, but loads for kids to do around Torquay area too.

I grew up in Devon and one reason why we never went on family holidays away was because everything was on our doorstep. That, and we were skint. :D

Minnack theatre

+1 , totally stunning :D

There are plenty of places to get away from the mainstream in Cornwall, Just stay away from the main towns :D

Cornwall takes an age to get to from my end of the world - anything up to 5 1/2 hours.

The drive was worth it as the air is different, the sun sets later (cos you're further west than anyone else), the light is even different for feck's sake.

Places like Loo, Kingsands, Cawsands all had a little bit of 'magic' that is missing in Devon. Pastow is fantastic along with the Camel trail.

Devon - busy busy busy around Exeter but not bad around Emouth.

My short limited experience. ;)

just got back from a week in brixham, devon. cool harbour town just over the bay from torquay. no where near as touristy as tourquay though.. there are some serious hills as well if you want to take a bike and stairs everywhere!

Attachments

• devon09 175 (Small).jpg
    devon09 175 (Small).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 861
  • devon09 185 (Small).jpg
    devon09 185 (Small).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 861
Back