Wales (picture heavy!)

MynameisCasper

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I just came back from a week cycling in the UK and it was great!

We left on fridayevening with the relaxing sound of Nashville Pussy and listening to the lyrics of Why Why Why. Classy don't you think?

Ofcourse we booked the cheapest ticket on the boat and thus slept in the smallest cabin on the Love Boat

GroteFoto-MKYNHVUZ.jpg

As you can see, we slept there with 3 guys! Needless to say is that the smell in the cabin the next morning was horrific!

We arrived on Saturday and went straight to Coed ll Andegla. We did the red route then. I've noticed that the MTB scene is much more alive there than it is over here in The Netherlands! It used to be like that 10 years ago. BITD everybody said Hi to eachother and would help eachother out when you've got problems. Nowadays everybody pedals on and no one is willing to talk about their hobby.
I was glad to see that this is different over there and this would be helpfull later on as my chain snapped.

IMG_0038.JPG

Luckily I could buy a new chain at the centre which had a 40% discount!

The feeling that the scene is more vivid than in The Netherland became absolutely clear to me when a guy walked towards us at the gasstation and told us about the track he is building. He has been digging for 5 years now and showed us his blisters proudly.
Foto-6X8OGFYL.jpg

On the second day we did the Marin trail which was awesome! Some nice descents and some steep climbs. Climbing over there is also very different. If I want to train myself for climbing, I have to cycle up a bride (Brienenoord) 10 times.

The next day we went to some outlet centre...:( Needless to say is that I did not like it!
Foto-EBZH3EDY.jpg

On the fourth day we went to do the Marin trail again but right after the first climb, into the first descent, I've managed to damage my front wheel. A Mavic Crossride. This day was over!

IMG_0076.JPG

On the last day we went to Coed ll Andegla again to do the black route. I hired an Orange over there and switched the front wheel in my bike. It was fun. Nice Switchbacks and some nice jumps. For those of you who know the track, I didn't have the balls to jump over the last bridge when you head for the centre again!

I really loved the english breakfast and ate my first black pudding which I didn't like that much. However... I've discovered my new favourite food.... CUSTARD!

I really had a great time over there and didn't have any rain!

Casper

Foto-DVDD7WQM.jpg

Foto-688W6YAW.jpg

Dang!

Sounds like great fun. Have no idea what the black stuff is, but sounds gross.

Outlet malls, hate 'em too. :roll:

I've discovered my new favourite food.... CUSTARD!

now try it with kellogs frosties, ricicles or birds trifle sponges :D as for the custard? its has to able to support the spoon if it can be poured from a jug then forget it! its soup not true custard ;) and as for th black pudding! you dont want to know whats in it! :shock:

Great that you had a good time - I guess Wales is a big contast to the Netherlands!

Black pudding is an acquired taste even for English people! But I have Dutch friends who love our English puddings - I have to take supplies over when I visit. Have you tried Sticky Toffee pudding or Treacle Tart? - and yep custard with everything!

Mind you, when I visit Holland I have to buy Leidsekaas with cumin, Ertensoep, and at New Year Oliebollen!

lekker!!

Groetjes

Carol

Some great pics there and a good time had by the sounds of it! :cool: It's nice hearing the contrast between countries.

And what's this about you not liking black pudding? It's good for you man(well not really)! and nearly as tasty as haggis :cool:

Croeso i Gymru

I'm soooo glad you liked it.

Cycling is booming in Wales, with so many National Parks you cannot imagine the amount of trails that are out there.

In the South even the deprived 'Valleys' themselves are awesome. On the valley floors are towns whilst only a mile or two away are high ridges with awesome rides. Take a look at this pic of Rhigos Mountain (Craig y Llyn) about 2 miles from the centre of the Rhondda

Wales is a truly foreign country within the UK. The language is different, many people I know don't even consider English to be their first language. My mother for example couldn't speak a word of English until she was 12. Our humour is so different as well. Can be quite bizarre at times.

Take a look at 'Taff Wars' on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

There is a North South divide in the country and I'm most definitely a southerner. It's strange because I've worked abroad (Malta) and in the Midlands and East Anglia and I always missed the mountains. The feeling of relief I got when I returned across the Severn Bridge was like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I always joke to myself that on that toll bridge, you have to pay to get into Wales but to go to England it's free ;)

I now live again in the 'Land of my Fathers' and will always welcome visitors from distant lands with open arms and a shout of

"Thanks for offering, I'll have a pint of Worthy" :D

By the way The Masai Warriors of Africa drink blood that is still warm from the cattle they have bled. We on the other hand prefer pigs and at least have the decency to mix it with some offal and then fry it. mmmmm yum.

And Custard is only good if you have to peel it first to get your spoon in

Attachments

• Rhigos - a view towards the Brecon Beacons Aug 2005.jpg
    Rhigos - a view towards the Brecon Beacons Aug 2005.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,477
CAS":3bptiat9 said:
Have you tried Sticky Toffee pudding or Treacle Tart? l

I did try Sticky Toffee pudding. It was great. To be honest, I liked basically everything thatwas on the menu over there. In fact at the end of our holiday we declared everything suitable for breakfast as long as there were tomatoes on the plate. Or at least at the picture!

It's funny though... People I know over here in The Netherlands don't seem to like a typical English breakfast. Baked beans an Bacon in the morning is just not done. And while I was on holiday last year in the Alpes, I spoke to some English people who thought the Dutch cuisine was horrible.

Next time you're over here try Reijpenaar cheese!

By the way it's not

Coed ll Andegla

but

Coed Llandegla (Koid Thlan-Degla)

Coed means Wood, Woods, Forest
Llandegla is complicated because Llan means Church Ground, churchyard, church field, etc. But I've no idea what Degla means, possibly battle or siege

Back