lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
i realise there are probably more appropriate forums to post on but you guys seem like a friendly bunch and i dont think anyone will be laughing at me. maybe gentle sniggering but probably not full on laughter.

basically i am overweight and not very fit. i am more bothered about fitness than fatness at the minute. i have never been particularly fast uphill, even when i was younger and fitter but my performance uphills now is embarassing to the point where i dont want to ride with others because i'm so slow.

i know the obvious answer is lose weight, get fit and i fully agree. i'm not a fatty on a sympathy mission here.

i'm just after some fitness advice. my thinking is get out on my bike more. ride hills - easier said than done where i live but there is a local route i do in an evening for a quick blast which invilves a steep uphill.

to get faster uphill am i better spinning fast in a lower gear or out of saddle hammering away in a higher gear? either way i am knackered by the top but which is the most effective method to get fitter and faster?

feel a bit stupid reading that back as it basically says "hi i'm fat and slow, how do i ride a bike!" but hey ho

I'd say spinning in a lower gear will improve cardio performance......according to Lance, that's how his riding was able to improve after his chemo- he had to use a high cadence 'cos his strength was gone.

Honking out of the saddle is more using muscle power, so better for strength- ye'll probably find yerself starting to do this more often as yer cardio fitness improves.

Build a singlespeed (and ride it of course), does wonders for your fitness and good for toning your body. I've not lost much weight since riding more regularly but I have last alot of fat. It's not about weight loss it's about fat loss. Getting fit again is hard work, two years ago I was in your position, nowdays I ride at least twice a week and go to the gym 3 times a week. Not as slim / fast as I was 15 years ago but feel and look much better than the couch potato I had become.

carbs before , protein after

i normally eat bananas or apples or grab a box of cereal , noodles . that kinda thing .

after i get back upto 2 hours after doing something physical is the best time to restock , i eat shitloads of peanuts , cake , infact anything i can stuff down my face quick :LOL:

once you realise things like mars bars arnt really sorting you out energy wise its easy to leave them and go for an apple instead . i think the salt that comes with peanuts stops the muscle ache , not sure how true it is but i never ache the next day

remember diets are what middle aged fat ladies do to pass the time . your making changes to what you eat to make yourself quicker ;) never forget its about making yourself quicker . when your eying up the cream cake just think its not adding to your energy so you dont really need it

as for hills , the fastest way to the top is whatever your comfortable with . either a steady low gear spin or a high gear strain . just hit it hard from the bottom and dont forget to keep a rhythm . i used to ride some lovely hills in devon , the only thing that stops me now is when i put all my weight on one pedal and i no longer move forward :LOL:

Spinning a lower gear with higher cadence is likely to produce more speed uphill. Pushing too high a gear may end up hurting your knees particularly if you are heavier than you'd like to be.

I sometimes do a circuit that involves a hill and repeat it two or three times.

Over the last 18 months I've also been running - starting with the cycle track near my home (an old railway line) and over time built up a longer route involving hills. Definite improvement in my underlying fitness as I've increased the gradient and distance. It's about the most efficient exercise for the time expended!

Advice about wise food choices already posted will also help.

Do you have a road bike? I was in a similar state well, not fat exactly but bigger than I wanted. In the depths of winter (brrrr) I started to ride imposing a strict BIG ring ban and keeping away from ninth as well. Not big distances, around 15-20 miles. First thing I noticed was being able to do it a bit quicker then further. Did 55 miles averaging 18mph in the small ring the other day. I have lost weight too! I almost rushed to the doctor the other day thinking I had a lump in my chest. Then I found another on the other side. Yes, they were my ribs!

Road bikes rule! You don't feel so beaten up and muddy afterwards. Much easier to maintain a steady effort for longer too.

I am in same boat as you, how many times should i try and ride a week?? i play footie on a sunday morning. Just wondered how many times you go out on your rides?

To be honest, if getting fit is your goal, you're better off ignoring that hill for a month or so until you have got some base miles in.

If I was you I'd buy a cycle computer so you can log your miles/times. This should keep you motivated as you'll see how faster/further you can ride as time goes on.

For a month, try to get out on the bike three times a week, maybe two short (road) rides of 10-15 miles and then a longer one at the weekend of 20-25 miles. Keep the pace easy and don't go gunning up any hills. At the end of the first month you should see some weight drop off and you'll also notice that you've got faster and can ride a bit further.

Month two, try the same format but increase the mileage a bit, short rides should be 20 miles, the longer one should be 25-30.

After just 8 weeks (it sounds a lot now, but it really isn't) you should be able to breeze a 30 mile road ride in a couple of hours and you'll probably have lost half a stone aswell.

With 8 weeks of 'conditioning under your belt, play with your riding a bit. Go ride some easy hills but keep the gears low and don't stress your knees. Continue to ride three times a week but maybe now have one 20 mile easy ride, one 20 miler with a few hills and a 30-40 miler at the weekend, throwing in some hills every other weekend.

Keep it fun, don't take it too seriously, and back off if you start to feel knackered or injured.

Don't ride a singlespeed without getting 'conditioned' first, it will destroy your knees and your motivation :)

Let us know how you get on!

cheers for the unput and for not making me look like a fool guys. will take on board what has been suggested here and via pm.

i have been back in the saddle a couple of years so i'm not starting from absolute scratch.

my plan is as follows -

2/3 times a week do my hiil loop. going to do actual hill to going up and down it a couple of times - may as well seing as i have already pedalled there. i tent to climb in a high gear and crank so i am going to try a lesser gear and spin a bit more.

i am building a single speed bike which i will use for rides with the mrs and my mate when he takes his dog. that way gentle rides can become a bit more challenging perhaps.

i have considered a road bike but to be honest i dont think it will work for me. i had a vitus when i was younger and used to ride to work. i thought a road bike would make my journey faster but it actually took longer! i have no idea why! i wont dismiss the idea, especially given that my mate is selling a reasonable road bike pretty cheap.

thanks again guys

Back