Sand/Beach Bikes

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Took my youngest down to the 'beach' today....well, Bristol Channel Estuary.....and thought how much fun it would be to ride along the coast at low tide.
Golden sands it aint...but a mixture of sand/clay/pebbles and larger stones....I've tried a normal bike and it just bogs down.
Pugsley is the obvious choice but expensive...loads of other stuff in the States but anything over here that would tackle the terrain?
Cheers
Carl

i used to do it on a bmx while the sand was still damp

it was relaxing not having to dodge tourist traffic on the roads and paths getting around , damn i miss those days :(

I grew up on the coast and always used Onza Rip and Rail tyres as they were like paddles. I even learnt how to ride quickly on dry sand, which later in life made it nearly impossible to fall off my bike due to my improved sense of balance. Great way of fine tuning your skills at riding muddy cross country bogs, as the sand behaves in a similar way.

It kills gear systems though. And before all the modern courier wannabees start shouting single speed, you really do need a spread of gears to ride sand effectively.

legrandefromage":2ayzjsof said:
I'm always down the beach........

Dinnae tell me ye're finding Colnagos washed up with the driftwood now?? :p

aye........big tyres, lowish pressure for t'beach- but I'd say all shaley/pebble stuff like at Brighton is pretty much unridable on anything.

There was one I saw once in a mag that had a custom frame and quad bike wheels and tyres, specially for dunes. It had to run a road mech and cassette to get the gears right (and stop the mech dragging on the ground).

Many beach races in Holland
1231614424EPE2009-21-Edit.jpg

most riders use Schwalbe Super moto's or Big Apple's 1.5 bar pressure

Ha ha...considerably less sand than that...nice picture.
Fitted some truely aweful Specialized Pro Chunder 2.3 tyres today as I plan to have a go on the 'beach' tommorrow.
I guess the above tyres are downhill or something....completely ruined the feeling of the Kish....anyway....slow and relaxed fun tomorrow maybe.

Ok...that was very hard work. Tried to ride to the corner in the distance...where the headland disappears.
Not a chance...maybe got half way....too hard.
A combination of:-
38/16 Singlespeed....too hard a ratio
Heavy Tyres....on the road they feel like you are driving with your brakes on!
40kph wind...had to 'tack' back :LOL:
Never got so knackered going so slowly...but I'll be back!
DSC00036.jpg

Back