B******s at work are cancelling our tea breaks

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
email from the top, says because some people thought they were entitled to 2x 15 min breaks, and 60 min lunch, and various other reason, they saying now the 15 min breaks are canceled, and if you do break often, then you will have ot make it up. My boss says, as we in our dept only do a 30 lunch, then anymore will have to make it up. I read it all as the company is trying to scrape every last penny worths out of us. Work to rule is what i say, they want us to play by the rules, then i will follow the rules to the t.

You have a legal right to X amount of breaks depending on X amount of hours you work in one sitting. I would check it out.

it's always short sighted to have strict edicts like this - last thing you want to do is p!ss off your workforce. There's generally a lot of goodwill there that may very quickly be lost and the employer will end up losing more time than just the 2 x 15 min breaks...

orange71":2thk4l71 said:
it's always short sighted to have strict edicts like this - last thing you want to do is p!ss off your workforce. There's generally a lot of goodwill there that may very quickly be lost and the employer will end up losing more time than just the 2 x 15 min breaks...

never a truer word spoken....

m-trax":30dlqzt2 said:
You have a legal right to X amount of breaks depending on X amount of hours you work in one sitting. I would check it out.

I wouldn't start with this,I work in heavy industry ie lots of physical activity and the law states a break every 4hrs but doesn't say how long for.

from what I remember it's 20 minutes for every 6 hours worked, this may vary dependant on your job though.

we get 2x10 min breaks & 30 mins unpaid for lunch, in a 8.5 hour shift

last job I worked gave us 1x10min & 1x20min breaks in an 8hr shift

Yes its dependant on job,I only get 1 official break of 30mins per 8hrs but they turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff we get up to! :D

I know times are hard, but time to be looking for another job, I believe.
This sounds like a desperate move to improve productivity by management. Doesn't sound good to me.

Back