Oh! Crap...

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
I have just spent a bit of time in the workshop, and inevitably I had to tinker with the bike didn't I...

Just fitted a new pair of cranks, used some steel allen key crank bolts to get it fitted nice and tight, then I removed them to replace them with alloy...... do you know whats coming.. ? :roll: :roll:

Yes, I overtightned one of them and its bloody snapped the head off the bolt.... :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :oops: ...

Now normally I would drill it out , but has anyone got any other ideas, as its into a very nice Ti BB..

Help...... :oops: :oops:

If the heads snapped off then the threaded section should just turn out without need to drill as it's not under tension. You could always try supergluing the allen key on to get some purchase

Well I dont think it will screw out , not by hand anyway pete.. as it was put in with a long socket wrench :oops: :oops: :roll: but good point about alloy melting point to Ti.. I thought that, but I did not want to damage the threads in the BB in any way.. :?

I suppose I'll have to get the drill out in the morning.. :roll: :roll: :LOL:

Drill a hole in the bolt then use a stud extractor.. which you could borrow from a local engineering company ;) :)

Dont really like borrowing things , any idea where I could get one from right size n all that.. :)

Could be a handy tool to have in.. :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

tuubz":2ehzb25d said:
Drill a hole in the bolt then use a stud extractor.. which you could borrow from a local engineering company ;) :)

That would be my choice too,but buy one in B&Q,theyre about a fiver
You can buy a reverse thread screw ,to use it you drill a small,not too deep hole in the exposed end section ,as you tighten the screw it bites ,tightens and undoes to bolt
Make sure theres plenty of lube left on it to penetrate prior to undoing it

I have no idea how you'd cut a slot the bolt without damaging the taper[youd have to cut a slot in that too :? ]

But if you're convinced its knackered i'l give you five new pounds for it ;)

Back