First ever project about to start

rojo

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Just got back into riding and got a kona bike that i am using now, i now have a kona hahanna 1994 frame to build. I am going to strip the paint off then respray it, i have got the nitromos to strip it down. Was wondering how much sanding do i need to do?? Any help on this and the build be great :D :D

Nitromors made mince meat of the paint on the marin & Orange paint I have used it on, shouldnt be much sanding involved.

If I were you I would get it sprayed properly once stripped. I have only rattle canned one frame before and the paint was very soft and damaged easly. A decent spray job costs a decent amount of money however if you take it to a car spray shop you may get an OK job for OK money.

Or get it powder coated for cheap.

(

I know this will sound obvious. Do the Nitromors OUTSIDE! Don't be tempted to set yourself up in a garage or shed even if the weather is a bit crap. I would vote for the powdercoat.

Powder coat is a good idea, you can get a frame done from between £20-£40 and it'll give you a nice tough finish. If your wanting to do the respray yourself, you could ask jimihendrix for some advice as he's done a few rattlecan jobs cut the mustard :cool:

Any pics as yet of the frame? :)

Oh another thing with powder is that they would normally blast the frame as well, saving you on nitromors as well as the paint and primer costs.

Is the nitromors smelly?? I have already got the nitromors so will give that a go on the weekend. I will give the respray a go, as the wife is after giving it a go aswell. If it all goes wrong will get it powder coated. Thinking of going white or is there any other cool colours, quite like the look of the white bikes on here.

Will get some pic's up on weekend :D

When using Nitromors, please wear safety glasses and rubber gloves.

I have stripped 3 frames last year and it's easy to do it if done right, what you need is a small paintbrush, wirewool and a small scraper.

Put some Nitromors in a cup so you can dip the paintbrush in, apply on the frame (do a few tubes a time), leave it for 10 mins, it will start peeling on it own and then use the small scraper to strip the paint off the frame, after the frame is near enough bare, dip the wirewool in Nitromors and rub it on frame to get smooth finish, when done use a damp cloth to wash the nitromors off and then take it indoors to dry off.

Forget hand can spray jobs, it wont last and by the time you spend a few cans of primer, paint and laquer, you will better off using that money at the powder coaters and your frame will be ready for the build later on.

dont let the nitromors dry either - its a right pain to sort out once that happens

Back