Firking E-bay

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
It's been a while since i've sold anything on there, but how long have they been taking 10% of the final value. The thieving barstewards :evil:
And relax.....

I know what you mean, It was a while that had passed from selling stuff to about a month ago .... I was pretty shocked with both listing and selling fees :shock:

As a serial buyer rather than seller I wasn't aware it was so high. If I paid with paypal how much would you loose altogether as a seller? 15%?

I did a little analysis a while ago when i sold some stuff on ePoo

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=paypal

I have used EBay for many years and Yahoo auctions before that (for those who remember it), but I have rarely used it to sell.

Sunday 1st March I had a small clearout of garage tools n bits and listed 11 items on EBay.

Yesterday 8 of them sold and I have posted them all this morning, so here is the breakdown...

➡️ £65.71 --> Total items sold for
➡️ £51.92 --> Total postage charged out (heavy items)
➡️ £51.73 --> Actual postage cost (not a bad guess, but doesn't include packaging)

➡️ £10.98 --> EBay listing fees and final value fees (i think it includes final value fee too :? )
➡️ £5.60 --> Paypal fees

So out of a total of £65.71 for the goods I sold I have paid £16.58 in fees thats just over 25% :shock: :shock:

oh and i gained £0.19 to cover packaging, it was all second hand anyway ;)

When you see it like this it is a bit steep.

Actually I think I recall seeing your thread. Maybe I am just in denial but it certainly makes an impact. I thought it was around 7 - 10 % overall. Thank the world for the For Sale thread !

this is why people add a bit on the postage cost now, also if you now open a new account you have to take pay pal payments, if you put in the listing that you wont take pay pal they will pull the listing off.
be really carefull about people paying by pay pal then collecting the item as they could say that some one had hacked in to thier account to buy the item from you, pay pal will ask you for proof of postage and the address you posted it to, but when its been collected from you cant prove, so pay pal will refund their money from you!!! so you will lose the money and the item

Re: .

Grannygrinder":3a6zhvoe said:
I was going to close my account, but then I won't be able to buy anything :cry: .

In Australia eBay tried to make PayPal the only method of payment, but it was found to be illegal as it breached freedom of trade legislation. PayPal will always show up as an option, but you can clearly state you will not take PayPal. Whenever possible I’ll do direct deposits into someone bank account (though I don’t know if that can work on overseas purchases?).

KINFAST":6vi3ovzh said:
this is why people add a bit on the postage cost now,

you cant even do that anymore as they have set a maximum limit for a lot of items for postage rates..

Back