What car? Ideas needed...

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Right, the girlfriend needs a new car as her Pug is becoming less reliable as the mileage has racked up.

Although she has driven for 12 years she has only owned 3 cars, a 1974 Mini 1000, 1996 VW Polo GL 1.6, and the current 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi

Criteria

1:- Sporty ie good handling, fast acceleration (think 205 GTi)
2:- Normally aspirated Petrol, absolutely not a diesel :evil:
3:- Small to medium sized with good visibility, no stupidly overized pillars.
4:- Doesn't have to be practical, but rear seats would be nice.
5:- Budget up to £5k max, but if a £2k car comes up then that'll do too.

She likes the Mini Cooper S but they are overpriced for what they are and they are a little too common. She does about 12k miles a year.

So what do you reckon? What car to replace the iconic 205 GTi?

306 GTi-6 is meant to be the spiritual successor to the 205GTI

167bhp, 2.0 NA petrol, good chassis with similar characteristics to the 205, i.e piles of lift-off oversteer.
those are knocking on a bit too now. even the last best and most expensive are about 3k

cce":e00ww05d said:
306 GTi-6 is meant to be the spiritual successor to the 205GTI

167bhp, 2.0 NA petrol, good chassis with similar characteristics to the 205, i.e piles of lift-off oversteer.
those are knocking on a bit too now

Yeah, nice cars, but they are a little old too and they had head problems IRC. I have the ZX 16v which is the same chassis as a 306 and the same engine, but the top end is more sturdy.

EDIT: Its the 206 GTi 180 that had the head problems.

Can you get a little Fiesta ST for that money? Some of those are good little driving cars if you can get over the badge!

South Bound":a47cp0kq said:
Can you get a little Fiesta ST for that money? Some of those are good little driving cars if you can get over the badge!

They are only just in budget, so it won't be the best example.

We've thought of all the obvious choices, is there anything unsual or rare? I thought of the Civic Type-R, the original import 97era, but don't like the looks and also the Alfa 147, have driven one as a hire car and was impressed, but it was diesel, don't know much about the petrol models :?

Clio is on the list, she likes :cool:
Although while searching for pictures she want the 3.0 V6 Clio, only 3 times over budget :roll:

The Stilo makes it to the list by looks alone.

What else chaps?

Back