DMR Trailstar - BB dilema

Aeronaut

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Help put me out of my misery! :)

I've been on the look out for a decent, bombproof frame to use as a single speed and have been hankering over the trailstar with horizontal dropouts. It seems to be ticking all the right boxes thus far..

Anyhow, got my eye on a couple of frames that have come up, one being a mtb BB shell version and the other a bmx BB shell. The mtb one comes with cage/crud mounts and is said to have a double butted front triangle unlike the bmx one. Can anyone explain the difference between double butted and not? I would assume strength wise the frames would be identical.

Also with the bmx shell I could use the wonder cup to convert to mtb BB. Has anyone had any problems with these and are they pretty much fool proof? or should i just go for the mtb shell version and save any troubles. This is the area i'm having trouble deciding on what to do!

Both frames seem to be from around the same year..(98?) with disc and non APS brake mounts, both have slightly different top tube decals tho. Have the usual wear and tear you'd expect although the bmx variant has better paint and looks in better overall condition. I'd probably end up stripping and repainting whatever i end up with anyway so chips and scrapes i can deal with.

So is there anything i should look out for regarding the two versions, also regarding parts/cranks and compatibility etc..or anything else i need to overly think about?

Any help and advice would be gratefully received :)

~

wayne

I can't imagine the MTB version having double butted tubing. Mine weighs a frickin' ton!

If I were you I'd get the MTB version so you don't have to worry about sourcing a set of wonder cups - not that they're difficult to find, but it's extra expense.

Mine's a '98 version, running single speed, here's a pic for reference.

P040409_1516-2.jpg

the blue and satin silver ones i take it ?

blue looks the same variant as mine . it has the APS stickers but the mounts look like the older welded type , maybe ask for a clearer pic

the satin silver is post 2000 as it has the APS mounts and you can see the slightly different dropouts ( holes drilled for a different tensioner )

ive had both bottom bracket shells over the years , mtb will be lighter , bmx will be stiffer . if you intend on using bmx cranks the larger shell would be worthwhile . they all had the same 4130 chromo tubing

ive had a satin silver , nice finish

im waiting for a reply from the seller of the black one ;)

if you do remove the stickers , any chance you could scan them so gil_m could make some copies ?

perry":3bmkt943 said:
the blue and satin silver ones i take it ?

blue looks the same variant as mine . it has the APS stickers but the mounts look like the older welded type , maybe ask for a clearer pic

the satin silver is post 2000 as it has the APS mounts and you can see the slightly different dropouts ( holes drilled for a different tensioner )

ive had both bottom bracket shells over the years , mtb will be lighter , bmx will be stiffer . if you intend on using bmx cranks the larger shell would be worthwhile . they all had the same 4130 chromo tubing

ive had a satin silver , nice finish

im waiting for a reply from the seller of the black one ;)

if you do remove the stickers , any chance you could scan them so gil_m could make some copies ?

lol yeah the blue looks like the same ones i've seen..can't see the satin silver one but i remember which it was with the different dropouts.

The black one with the crank looks nice ;) i like the colour of that one so well have to see.. Blue needs a touch more work doing but thats expected. Both are strong contenders in their own rights!

Regards stickers.. thats a cool thought, just have to win one of the damn things first. hmm choices! oh i dunnoo :LOL:

Cheers for the info guys! It's kinda helped.

@ Matt.. Lovely bike and just what i'm after but maybe with rigid forks :cool: Nice one!

All of these are in my watch list too! :LOL:

The brand new BMX BB ones for £100 are most tempting though...

perry":13ncwt0n said:
i'd lost out to two others over the past couple weeks so the battles on!

even the one that went for £13 ?

:shock: i must have been sleeping...no didn't spot that one at all.

Managed to find that silver one on there with the blue decals and that looks in good nick, nice colour. Has the removable hanger and chain tugs on it. Looks like theres one for everyone :)

I'll be having a half-arsed bid at the blue one and a much more concerted effort for the silver one. :)

But if any of them go for strong money, a nice brand new one (in white, I think) for £100 will do!

Back