Best value current disc brakes?

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am building up a rather lovely modern bike. I was going to use some older disc brakes that I had 'lying around' but it simply isn't a 'lying around' kind of frame. So i'm in the market for some shiney new ones. IS rear and postmount front. Can you flag up good deals that are currently available and what ones are to be avoided( i've heard dodgy things about hayes). Obviously if you have some to sell you can pm me :D
All info greatfully recieved ;)

disc brakes

Just bought some shimano lx brakes (full set) £130 from merlin, if they're as good as the old deore ones I had I'll be a happy man :LOL: (my old deore performed as good as my mates xtr! :shock: )

Hayes Sole's are the only ones to avoid, I used HFX Nines with braided hoses & they were very powerful stoppers, with no maintenance over 2 years, barring fresh pads. A bit on/off in feel, but I grew used to it & like to haul on the anchors as late as possible. Stroker is also pretty good from what I've read better modulation than the Nines

Quad do some highly rated budget brakes that work well, based on the Diatech Anchor I believe. Good power & fair modulation for not a lot of cash (Quad QHD1 is good, or the newer stuff is also worth looking at)

Avid 3's tend to have spongy feeling brake syndrome, heard lots of tales of squishy brakes with them

Shimano Deore get good reviews, never used them myself

or the new SLX (replaces LX in the MTB range) stuff is highly rated too

chain reaction have hfx 9's on sale at £36 each, i assume thats with a 160 rotor. they are OE brakes but who cares. so a pair for 72quid, quite a bargain.

jonnyboy666":3nd0whsj said:
chain reaction have hfx 9's on sale at £36 each, i assume thats with a 160 rotor. they are OE brakes but who cares. so a pair for 72quid, quite a bargain.
No rotor with that IIRC, just the brake lever, hose & caliper.

I'm running the latest XTRs on 2 bikes,the SS and a carbon Scott and so far have been impressed,pad life seems good although I try not to brake much on the SS.The only issue I've had is that the mineral oil pumps up quite badly in cold conditions,like most of last winter!

Back