RockShox SID World Cup carbon steerer preload issues

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
I'm having trouble with getting the right level of preload with the SID WC on my old hardtail so I looked inside the steerer. It has one of those split cylinders with a ribbed outer surface and an expanding wedge inside so the idea is that the cylindrical part expands outwards and grips the steerer. All fine, but after a while it appears that it starts creeping up inside the steerer and scoring the inner carbon surface, which means I'm messing up the interior of my steerer and ending up with inadequate preload.

So I went down to my LBS and bought a Hope Head Doctor ... only to find that it doesn't fit :roll: The steerer is pretty thick and has an internal diameter of about 22.25mm, which is roughly the ID of a 1" steerer. Alas, the Hope is not available in a 1" variant!

Any suggestions?? FSA offer their Compressor:

http://road.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx ... ut=product

(2nd frame) in a 1" version but are there any others? The steerer/crown assembly is one-piece and is not open at the bottom, which rules out eg the Gusset Headlock device.

TBH I don't want to spend too much time or money on this as I'll probably be getting rid of the SID in the near-ish future, but I still need to ride it for now.

Cheers, Gareth.

You do want to use a set up specific to carbon forks to prevent any internal damage to the steerer that might write the fork off. The FSA jobs you mention should work fine but if the interior of the steerer is already scored it may be worth taking the fork to your nearest shop that does a lot of road bikes as they will have lots of experience with carbon forks and they shoukld be able to make a recommendation. We do a load of carbon steerer stuff but without the fork in hand I am reluctant to make a recommendation as I cannot check fit and condition.

Back