Homemade tensioners

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
Hello

I'm building up the Jimmy Saville gold Mtrax as a singlespeed. Lazarus was a singlespeed, god rest his soul. :cry:
Unfortunately, my gold Mtrax has vertical dropouts. I sold my tensioner to Pickle, where it's now doing sterling service as I understand it. So no tensioner, but lots of aincient, not particularly special mechs.
Has anyone taken an old mech and made it into a tensioner? Did it work? Do you like it?

its too late in the evening for me to post pics but i have some where the lower jockey wheel has been removed from a mech so its just the upper and i even have a pic of a canti used

theres the option of using a lower chain device which i think is neater , certainly would make taking the wheel out less hassle

i think i even have a pic of a urethane block used to create tension

tensioner

Hi Chris
I have a surly on the way from Bas, so have a DMR tensioner II available. I am looking for £11 posted if your interested.
Cheers
Jamie

sram mechs are the best! you run the chain under the top jockey wheel and use the b stop screw to set the tension. the rest of the mech can then be cut off if you need to...

DSC01537.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

singlespeed2.jpg

singlespeed1.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

ashton.jpg

ironhorse3.jpg

406880122_bcf0504e33_b.jpg

406880119_57218ea3a2_b.jpg

the canti brake tensioner is a stroke of genius.

I'm stroking mine right now....

Listen...

You can hear it purring...

Back