Calling any fishermen r.e. cork grips

awaycaboose

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I really want some cork grips like the ones below for my new fixie work bike build but am drawing a blank as to getting them in the UK. Thorn do a pair but I don't like the black plastic bits on them.

So if there are any fishermen/women out there then my question to you is; would fishing rod cork grips fit?

Attachments

• 16-103_corkgripscale.jpg
    16-103_corkgripscale.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 896
  • 16-187x.jpg
    16-187x.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 896

They might. Largest stockist of all things fishing that I use is 'Glasgow angling centre'. In my experience very nice helpful people. I think there website is 'fishing megastore'. Try both you'll find it eventually ;)

Good choice with the cork grips fella. I had some years ago and they were light, shock absorbing and moulded to fit. Right comfey they were.
Not sure if off-the-peg handles for fishing rods would be any good though, carbon rods being a really thin diameter, -not like the handlebar thick fibreglass jobs when most of us were nippers.

What a brilliant bit of lateral thinking!
Let us know if you find something suitable.
If you can't, Rivendell bikes in the US sell them. You need glue to hold them onto the bars and they cost $$$, but if you can't find anything else maybe it's an idea.

Velo orange in the states has a similar though black pair. Black spangly too very pimp :cool:

Many years ago I used to build fishing rods from fibre glass blanks
The handles were pieces of circular cork that were then glued on and sanded to shape
Some of the coarse fishing rods were of a smaller diameter and the cork may fit a handlebar.

Not sure where you could get them now, but perhaps buy Anglers Mail and see what shops you can find to contact or alternatively go to a fishing website
Google for vintage rods using the words split cane or look for rod building parts suppliers especially fly rods as they tend to be of a more traditional design and of smaller diameter

Low cost wine as sold in supermarkets is causing lots of damage to the environment in Portugal, where the majority of cork is produced.
It'd be nice if cork grips were available, but it seems they're not unless you pay a huge markup.
If I were to order a few sets from a manufacturer, would anyone else be interested in buying a pair?

Thanks for the replies guys. :D

It was actually the Rivendell site which I stole the pics off of. :LOL:

There are plenty of places in the States with them but shipping is generally very high, one place wanted $10 for the grips and $34 for shipping :shock:

If I were to order a few sets from a manufacturer, would anyone else be interested in buying a pair?

I was gonna ask around a few tackle shops but if you can swing this :roll: then I'd be up for a couple of pairs.

chris667":vas42aa3 said:
Low cost wine as sold in supermarkets is causing lots of damage to the environment in Portugal, where the majority of cork is produced.
It'd be nice if cork grips were available, but it seems they're not unless you pay a huge markup.

Yeah, the production of wine bottle corks from cork bark is a wonderful 'industry' and it's a terrible shame it's being lost to cheeper alternatives with better so called 'consistency'.
-Say no to screw caps, and help preserve this tradition and the fantastic forests it depends on!

Back