Help with how to build up my frame

rojo

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I finally bought myself a fully ready to ride bike of someone on here it is a kona hahanna 2000 ish 18". I have now bought a 1994 kona hahanna 19" frame to build on, this will be my first ever build. I am excited about building a bike for the first time but am very nervous cos want it to go right. It is going to take a while to build as i want to buy the bits at a time. I am thinking of respraying the frame aswell, would quite like a white frame.

So what tools will i need to build a bike and what bits am i best of getting for the frame???

tools, spanner set, allan key set, adjustable wrench, screwdrivers, rags, gloves, grease, cable cutters, bisquits and tea, and a big ass hammer!

depends on ur budget what parts to buy.

i built mine for £69

:cool:

Beer and a hammer
:LOL:

Just enjoy it !! I hadnt put a spanner to a bike the first time around as my old man spannered all my bikes, But this time I have all been on my lonesome with the help of retrobike people and Parktools blue book and love it :cool:

Be prepared for much frustrated mind, Nothing in my case is ever as simple as you think, Parts not matching, different sizes, wrong length, over not under front mech, why the hell did they make that plastic, different tools needed, Setting up gears!! etc etc, But the satifaction of riding something you built is great!! :LOL:

Good luck :cool:

daj":2p06x8xd said:
Beer and a hammer
:LOL:

Just enjoy it !! I hadnt put a spanner to a bike the first time around as my old man spannered all my bikes, But this time I have all been on my lonesome with the help of retrobike people and Parktools blue book and love it :cool:

Be prepared for much frustrated mind, Nothing in my case is ever as simple as you think, Parts not matching, different sizes, wrong length, over not under front mech, why the hell did they make that plastic, different tools needed, Setting up gears!! etc etc, But the satifaction of riding something you built is great!! :LOL:

Good luck :cool:

What he said :LOL:

Oh and good luck :D

a big ass hammer!
and an old frame you don't want - seriously there will be times you want to beat the sh!t out of something (like when you scrape your knuckles for the nth time) so might as well take the hammer to the old frame than the one you're building up :D

Is it best to get a bike stand?? What am i best to get after a get the frame , what bits best to put on first.

And is it easy to respray frames???

Good luck with the build and remember to enjoy it!

I agree with the stand suggestion (although I havent followed it myself, it would have made my builds so much easier!)

Also - http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp - is a great resource. I think it has pretty much all of the Park Blue book, but its free and you can just print stuff off as you need it.

I would suggest getting some wheels and a fork as your first purchases. At least then you can put them together and it will look more like a finished bike.

My first build was turning my 95 Hahanna into a white singlespeed.

Back