Kids Bikes - Advice

boxxer

MacRetro Rider
Hi all - looking for some advice

My Aunt is looking to get a new bike to replace the BSO my 6 going on 7 year old cousin has had for the last few years.

Now I'm no expert on kids or kids bikes but she's is quite tall for her age

Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced steed, somethingthats easy to maintain (I'll prob end up maintaining it) I've flicked over Islabikes but think they might be slightly out of price range

Ta

I am also looking for a bike for 6 year old and it is hard .

a 20 inch wheel seems the best , but good ones are expensive .

Scott do some nice ones but even more expensives

Join the CTC forum, and put a wanted up there.
It's not fair, we shouldn't make our kids ride BSOs.

The great thing about Islabikes is that you do get good resale values. Normal kids bikes seem to be freecycle or £10 at the corner shop small ads.

So over the two years or so the Islabike doesn't cost more - but you do have to stump up the cash up front. Incidentally they also do a trade-in scheme so you could try calling Isla Rowntree to see if she has any. She is really approachable and helpful.

I've got through three now with my sons - two I managed to get secondhand via the CTC website.

This thread is a real eye opener! my little guy is 11 months and ive been looking to see whee i coud get a prper bike for him! the isla bikes look a good proposition :)

the mini-manitou and a childs seven were high up my list... but back to planet earth!! :LOL:

The BMX style of kids bikes is a good start for that age,a simple go stop with no gears
Crud bits but as its bmx it only has gears and like im doing for my Nephews bmx upgrading the brakes to some good quality v's[he wanted silver]

Bike cost £80,and would do up to an 10-11yr old,not great but it seems not too bad overall
Get him/her gears when they have their confidence
Many schools do an afterschool cycle proficiency club,which also gives them bikey pals to bike with :D

i got my 7 yr old daughter (who is tall for her age) a Hood V4 from Halfords for 110 quid i think it was at xmas.

if you can ignore the H word i used..Halfords. not Hood...lol i think it is a seriously good bike for a 7 year old. ...which will last til she is 11 ish i reckon

it is probably more of a boys bike but my daughter is a bit of a tom boy and cos the bike is designed as a "jump" bike the frame looks unisex...

its got 7 gears and a sturdy steel frame to take the knocks without being toooooooo heavy..and its in black..mmmmmmmm

my daughter loves the piranha skeleton logo on the bike...i think thats what it is anyway...but most importantly she loves riding it too

check it out...

Back