Help from the trade required....

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Morning Folks,

As a condition of my contents insurance I need to get two official valuations for two of my bikes:

1) 1999 Kona Caldera

&

2) 1997 Kona Hei Hei

After a chat with the insurance chap he recommended that I went with what it would cost to replace the bikes rather than current value. So now I just need a bike shop to officially value them!

Can anybody be of assistance?

Many thanks,

MArk

hey mark, most shops will want either the bike in the shop to quote from or a list of every part on the bike, and they will probably charge you aswel, it is time consuming and usually insurance companies want it on headed paper etc.

i'd say you should phone up your local shops and explain the style of quote you want and ask how much they will charge, also for replacement they will probably quote for the modern equivalent so if your bike has 24 speed and v brakes they could quote 250 quid! so make sure they quote for equivalent groupsets etc, so if you have xt they should quote for current xt. also get it quoted as a custom build as opposed to off the shelf replacement.

My suggestion would be to run up a fair (not internet super discount) quote yourself and ask your LBS to verify it for you. Less work is always good when no sale is looming ;) Buy them biscuits too!

stew-b":2lpkukph said:
STIF used to do good quotes for insurance purposes :?:

My Marin is still unsured using the quote they gave me based on its value in roughly 1996-7. :)

I could do with finding a shop to do the same with all of mine now. Just emailed the LBS and they dont do it :(

How have you people managed to get the bikes insured? ive tried tice on household and as soon as i started to throw 4 figures and 10years old (at the time) they woud just say no!

Had no problem, gave them the make,model and estimated value.

Cost me an extra 50 quid a year for three bikes over their standard £250 for one bike cover and that is new for old with accidental damage too.

Back