Flying with a bike box as extra luggage?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hello,

Bit of a random question, Has anyone flown and taken a bike in a bike box with them (not a proper bike bag) as extra luggage and knows the costs involved? if it helps from usa to uk on BA? :?

Cheers

Dave

I have done so, but not for a while.

Just turned up, no pre-booking, no excess baggage to pay (just some customs dues because I was honest / foolish)

Things might be different now, but I suspect a lot will depend on how busy the flight is and how early you check in.

oh, and pack it properly. Don't forget the frame & fork spacers!

Many times in the past, never had to pay extra, only for a flight back out of Iran with KLM (this dutch company is the only company charging me for traveling with a bike :shock: :twisted: )
When I flew back from the states last summer (US airways) I had my Grove in a cardboard bike box and did not have to pay extra. My mate who had his bike in a Fancy hardshell bike box was charged an extra 100 dollar for odd size lugage :roll:

In July '06 I flew from Manchester to Stuttgart for a weekend to pick up an Attitude I'd bought on Ebay.

I pre-booked everything (obviously) and HLX charged £15 extra to bring the bike. This was in addition to my regular luggage allowance (which was all free).

They were aware of it when I checked in for the return flight in Stuttgart, and they guided me to a separate desk where the bike box was taken through independently to my luggage.

Not the same route you are taking, but this is the only experience I have.

Check the website of the airline you're travelling with.
My few experiences have been as per the first reply: Zero hassle.

I expect budget airlines or internal, domestic flights would be different, as the baggage allowances are much smaller and so they would look to make a bit of money from oversized sports equipment.

Even if you need to pre-book & pay extra for the bike, it helps to:
Pack it well, check in as early as possible and be polite & smiley.

Brought a bike back from a trip to Switzerland a few years ago (2004) and didn't pay any extra or have any hassle. That was with SleazyJet. Things have probably changed since then though

I have flown to and from Oz with a bike in a box and didn't have to pay extra as it was within my luggage allowance (When combined with my Bro who didn't have a bike and was travelling with me). The only pain was Oz customs unpacking the whole thing in order to spray disinfectant on my tyres because they had a little bit of mud on them. :roll: I was left with a ruined box and half packed bike to contend with.

I have flown with BA a few times with no cost incurred with a bike carried in a bag. I don't think it matters if it is a box, but give them a call. Ask for fragile stickers too. My bike was unscathed after about 6 flights, which I though was pretty good.

Back