legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
It started so well...

Got me a Sunset Karakoram which I'd wanted for a loong time.

One came up as a debt owed to me, I thought great!

Got it, did it up, rode it a bit, all fine but it need some finishing.

Former owner nagged and nagged and nagged until I got sick of the sight of that ****ing GT! Decided to sell it here first, just to see who/ what etc.

Sold it with a part ex to Chris667 who was going to ride it home back to Reading with his touring gear.

Unfortunately events took over and bikes were forgotten. The day arrives for Chris to be picked up and united with his purchase.

I meet a well rounded Chris and touring gear... Hmmm, yup got a rack that'll fit. Riding up and down, all seemed ok with Chris comfy on a Brooks B17 and a shorter stem. All seemed ok as I pointed Chris in the general direction of home... in the rain... and the wind.

Hour later - phone call '' wheres a good bike shop?''

ah...

Text a little later -'' got me a new chain and cassette''

ok

next day after texts from Chris happily camping out near Huntingdon

''got a spare chain ring?''

Awwww f**k sake.:oops:

That GT was definitely jinxed - a poor Chris had only just left Huntingdon sometime Saturday after arriving on Wednesday!

I havent heard back yet as I have his panniers as they dont mix with short GT stays... :roll: :oops:

I can only apologise and thank Chris for his well laid back approach to life...

chris does seem a decent chap , hope he has pics and a nice story to tell when he does eventually get home

thats hardcore , i wouldnt even feel confident riding a bike across town after just buying it

I'm back.
After a few drivetrain problems and a couple of days in sunny (!) Huntingdon, the trip was a goodun.
Day one after leaving was Huntingdon - Royston - Cambridge. Delighted to find a campsite in the dark and several of the nicest pints of bitter I've ever tasted, though pub was expensive. Campsite a bargain, though, they do a discount for lone, tired looking cyclists!
Day two was Cambridge - London, then a train back to Henley and home because I couldn't find a campsite. London Retrobikers, I salute you. It takes a lot of courage to ride a bike through London, although doing the ring around Hyde Park was fun.
After a new block, chain (thank god for Halfords, and a very keen but very young mechanic who didn't charge me for labour and had never seen a mountain bike with u brakes!) and middle ring (courtesy of Legrandefromage - cheers!) the bike never put another foot wrong. I'd be confident riding it anywhere. And what a paint job. It's the first bike I've owned in years that I keep taking admiring glances at. There were two kids who stared at it, open mouthed. Stunning.
Brilliant holiday, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But not before I've had a bath.
Legrandefromage, nothing to apologise for, that trip was ace. Great to meet you.

Back