Mystery orange frame

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hello,

I picked up a cheap frame on eBay the other day, it is a conventional diamond-shaped alloy frame and the only identifying features apart from the god-awful metallic orange paint job are the words "Alluminium-05" (no that isn't a typo) on the top-tube in large letters and "Race Light" on the chainstay. There is a sticker saying 7005 on the seat tube.

The frame has a short-travel fork or ridgid geometry, an 1 1/8 headtube and a canti cable mount on the back. The down-tube is mildly ovalized at each end but apart from that the tubes are straight. Nothing is particularly oversize. Oh the seatpost is 27.2.

The frame rides well and weighs 1.9 kg so I'm happy for the tenner I paid (new!) but I'd like to know what it is. Any ideas? I wonder if it is a cheapo no name job?

Cheers

I know the bike your talking about but for the life of me cant remember who made it
Im sure it wasnt one of the big names and the frame was aimed at the £300-400 market
2002-3 maybe, im not sure :?
Nothing to do with THE Orange though
But whoever made them or how much they cost ,they faded into obscurity pretty quick
That speaks a thousand words

This one:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=#363893

SP_A0581.jpg

Wow! That is exactly the same one! I saw one other last year at the Bontrager 24/12 but it was in the race at the time, so not the best time to strike up a "where did you get that bike?" conversation! I couldn't find it in the paddock after the race had ended. Shame nobody knows what it is.

I'm going to pull all the bits off my 1990 Fire Mountain and bung it on this frame with a set of suspension forks. I just need a top-pull 31.8 mech... The Fire Mountain isn't particularly original so it is no crime to strip it before anybody passes judgement! Plus I've got a very, very original 1989 Fire Mountain too, so no great shakes about not being able to ride the 1990!

Cheers everybody.

so there is 3 of them now then....woohoo!

i got mine around 1997-98

still not found any more info on it or Race Designs

Back