Bike Snob

J i m s t e r

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/04 ... every.html

Just got put on to this and it's a really good read, even if you are not into bikes. Take, for example, this review of the Look 566 frame:

"So How Does It Ride?

The main reason bike reviews often sound so ridiculous is because they inevitably veer off into those sensuous descriptions of the bicycle's ride quality. Either that, or they attempt to quantify something that is essentially subjective, which is often even more ridiculous.

The truth is, any bicycle that fits well and is set up properly will ride well, provided it's being used in a reasonable way. (Your well-fitting road bike is not going to ride very well through a rock garden, for example, just as your mountain bike is going to be sluggish on the road.)

All a frame really needs to do is place your components where they need to be and not break. For this reason, the whole business of evaluating slightly different bicycles with slightly different combinations of components and attempting to discern those differences is mostly pointless. "

word3rp.gif

Or this one:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/03/accessorize-to-live-live-to-accessorize.html

"Now that the fanny pack is making a return, the "Sex and the Citification" of cycling is nearly complete. The endless assortment of messenger bags, u-lock holders, utility belts, and fanny packs now on the market has finally allowed people to disguise their teenage girl-like obsession with handbags as practicality. And if you don't think people are using all of these things--at the same time, I might add--I am here to assure you that they are. I'm not sure why people need to carry so many items for local trips, but they look like urban survivalists, and between all the carabiners and nylon belts and satchels and clothing with hidden pockets all over it you'd think New York City was a mountain. I'm also not sure why whatever items these people need to carry must be kept separate from one-another.

Perhaps this is part of the survivalist technique, and placing different items on different parts of your body is like diversifying your portfolio or like a squirrel burying acorns in different spots so they don't all get stolen at once. Hopefully soon we'll see people wearing "Extra Legs" with integrated pouches, and cycling specific thigh pouches, and utility belts, and messenger bags, and arm pouches all at the same time. And let's not forget the fanny pack's equally dorky cousin, the wrist wallet. Just finish the whole ensemble off with a pair of Kangaroos and there will be no limit to the places you'll be able to carry something.

Just make sure you don't put a rack on your bike. You wouldn't want to spoil those clean lines. "

Bike snob is one of the best blogs on the net :LOL: :LOL:

Back