Paint stripping and Spraying hints, tips and techniques.

awaycaboose

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Hey all, I'm gona be stripping and respraying my beater bike. I'm gonna use Nitromors to strip the paint but don't have much of a clue as to the best spray paint to use, how much sanding to do between coats and how long I should let each coat dry for. Wanna keep it relatively cheap and already have a can of white undercoat, so what else do I need? Thanks in advance.

ive found halfords rattle cans to be good

id rub down between with 1500grit

as long as possible between coats

get a light dusting on the tubes to start with , dont try to lay it on too thick . start in the hard to get to areas like behind the headtube between the top and downtube , bottom bracket etc , then go along the tubes , less likely to cock it up then :LOL: same with doing the inside areas like the stays and underneath then finishing with good long strokes over the whole thing , looks more even

i can spray paint to a decent finish but i always cock up the clear/laquer so if anyone can tell us how to do that properly it would be great :D

I don't know how to do this but would be very interested in photos of how it goes :D :D

velomaniac":254zsf12 said:
Hey AC, why don't you PM Jimihendrix, he seems to be our man with the painting facts in MacRetro Land :D

Good idea velo, although I was hoping he might share his painting wisdom on this thread so as to help the whole community (well those of us too cheap to use a professional :LOL: ).

Why not consider powdercoat? The cost of stripper and paints as well as the labour of stripping might not be to far away from a good powdxercoat? Kaiser has used a mob in killie and he recons they are good.

Jimi is your man with the cans- he is going to do the miniclockwork for me.

clockworkgazz":1gdkbunn said:
Why not consider powdercoat? The cost of stripper and paints as well as the labour of stripping might not be to far away from a good powdxercoat? Kaiser has used a mob in killie and he recons they are good.

Jimi is your man with the cans- he is going to do the miniclockwork for me.

I'm quite keen to do it myself as a wee project and as I already have the undercoat, I was gonna just buy a can of the colour (to be decided) and a can of laquer. So those plus sandpaper and Nitromors should be around the 20 quid mark. Unless of course the Killie powdercoater will be around 20 - 30 quid which I doubt. Any thoughts Kaiser?

my powder was £30-40

after stripping with nitromorsw make sure there are absolutely no traces of it on the frame otherwise when you apply new paint it will react and fall off.

i usually mess up the laquer too. best thing to do is build it up with very thin layers. mist it on too if you get what i mean - hold the can 40cm away from the frame. as you advised do the hard areas first but just use very small squirts and build it up. the problem with clear coat in a spray can is that it is really thin. doing lots of small coats really reduces the chances of runs.

Hmmm...sounds like the top coat is the hard part. I'm starting to feel swayed towards the powdercoating option. Although one of my ideas was just to strip it and spray it with clear top coat for a cool grungy, rusty pattina look so may need to investigate how to do a good job of the laquering. :?

I like that idea AC- My miniclockwork looks very cool stripped and I would have just went clearcoat had it not been my need to make a minime.

Why not see how it looks once stripped and take it from there?

Latest posts

Back