Which shoes for flatties?

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
As in the title really- what are you using? Been using Answer shoes for a while but they are not great on flat peddles which most of my bikes now sport. I want something grippy, but comfortable to walk in with a reasonably stiff sole as the bones in my feet are very brittle being having been smashed to bits a few years back- i need to spread the pedal loading so Vans are out. Also dont want to look a cock at the bar post ride.

Cheers
Si

I use a pair of old Nike Air Basketball boots :LOL: Seriously grippy but I'm waiting to get a pair of Shimano MP56's. Good reviews, good protection and a stiff(ish) sole.

shoes

Hi guys
I have a pair of Specialized comps that I have for my SPDs but on the flats which are on my old stumpies I use my old rockhopper shoes. I must admit they might look a bit like I got them on the national health :oops: but they work with either SPD's or flats and are very comfortable. I use these for most trail rides on the old or new stumpy. The comps for more serious type terrain.

jamie

Shimano DX jobbies are a bit more sturdy than Vans. Couldn't really fault them till they got gunked up at the Peaks! need another wash I think!

Theres two types the SPD bound ones are super stiff with cleat pop out or the flat ones which ya can walk in like a pair of boots.

reanimation":db8t7635 said:
Shimano DX jobbies are a bit more sturdy than Vans. Couldn't really fault them till they got gunked up at the Peaks! need another wash I think!

Theres two types the SPD bound ones are super stiff with cleat pop out or the flat ones which ya can walk in like a pair of boots.

I have only heard great things about the DX pedals from all my mates who ride flats. Good value too! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7610

Orchid Van Homans for me - 'Vandevers' maybe the correct name? anyway good blend of feel and stiffness. Have a look at someonline BMX sites for ideas - but bear in mind shoes are one part I never buy mail order as I'm really fussy about the way they feel.

Specialized Sonoma are good if you do not fit spd's.

Personally I love Hi-Tech Trail hiking boots, grippy quite stiff sole attached to a comfy fabric boot with good ankle support and quite lightweight :D

Which reminds me, I should get myself a new pair !

vans
etnies
duffs

i used the etnies trauma 2s for years ( no longer made ) and found etnies soles stiff and grippy and would hurt my feet a lot less on the streets than my slip on vans did at the time . plenty of arch support too

anything with a stiff flat sole will be good enough , just whatever takes your fancy ( i hate moon boots too :LOL: )

Back