Recommend a helmet?

greenfinger

Retro Guru
I've never been too bothered about wearing a lid however i've now decided to go for one. Maybe i'm getting older or the fact i'm commuting 5 miles each way on quite a busy road, I just feel I should get one now.

Soooo whats decent and what's not?

Try some out as they all fit differently, the best helmet for you is the one that fits the best.

Met helmets fit my head, currently using a Kaos helmet.

I've a Giro E2 but if I was going to buy a new one it would be a Hex or Zen. As mentioned though, try some, Giro's are a good fit for me, the same size Bell's are a bit tight.

There was an article in the CTC mag a while ago that talked about different standards for helmets. There's a European one that all helmets in the UK have to pass which is called ANSI, and there's an American one called SNELL, which British helmets don't have to pass that is a lot stricter.
It might be worth finding out about this.

I find that only Bell helmets fit my great big bonce and currently use a Sweep XC
Before that it was a Delirium, both very comfy and well ventilated

Tried most of the other makes and they all sat on top of my head whereas the Bell ones seem a bit deeper and actually protect my forehead too.

Really is a try them on job to see what fits properly otherwise you will end up not wearing one that is uncomfortable or buying a lid that doesn't do its intended job due to bad fit.

Thanks guys, I was going to order one online as there are no bike shops round here but I think I shall hold fire till I can get to one and try a few on.

Try a few on as said. I'm loving my Giro Xen, pricey but searched out a good deal. Hex I believe is very similar fit and quality.

Latest posts

Back