I've got a sealed bolt problem

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
One of the bolts into my BB axle on one of my bmx's is jammed in good and solid. I think I have even rounded some of the hex slot off too now...Just looking for some suggestions for getting the bugger out really.

thanks ahead

If you've got nothing left to grip, you could drill a hole down the centre of the bolt and use a screw extractor to get it out.
You can buy them in various sizes depending on the size of the bolt, from tool suppliers or decent motor accessories shops.
Other than that it's drill it down the centre and re tap it. Problem with that is knowing the thread size to get a tap, not too bad if you can get the other side off.
Or you could just drill the head off to release the arm and it may screw out once the pressure is off.

id weld ( or have a mate weld :LOL: ) an old long allen key to it and go from there

what cranks are they ?

perry":197d143j said:
id weld ( or have a mate weld :LOL: ) an old long allen key to it and go from there

what cranks are they ?
they are single pinch redline flights mate

take everything off the other side and tap the axle through a bit , loosen the arm and push against the BB/spacers ( hoping you have enough spline to do so ) this should leave the bolt head proud of the arm and you could either file 2 flats on it and use a spanner/adjustable or some decent mole grips

ill assume you have loosened the pinch bolt already and given it a good soaking of wd40/gt85

its worth removing the pedal , you will no doubt hit your hand on it once the bolt decides to let go and pull towards you instead of push away , saves punching the floor

perry":3jvs4gb1 said:
take everything off the other side and tap the axle through a bit , loosen the arm and push against the BB/spacers ( hoping you have enough spline to do so ) this should leave the bolt head proud of the arm and you could either file 2 flats on it and use a spanner/adjustable or some decent mole grips

ill assume you have loosened the pinch bolt already and given it a good soaking of wd40/gt85

its worth removing the pedal , you will no doubt hit your hand on it once the bolt decides to let go and pull towards you instead of push away , saves punching the floor

cheers i'll give it a whirl in a bit

Back