Views please

the great roberto

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A mate of mine a grand or so burning a hole in his pocket and wants a new bike............

Views please on the boardman MTB range that's at...........Halfords :cry:

Forget that its Halfords, but the £999 model looks well spec'd and at 24lbs the weight looks good too.

I'm in 2 minds as to even show him the bike as 1) It's in Halfords and 2) he may just buy it and all that fancy SRAM X9 and X0 stuff could make the Karakoram look like something from another century.

He has been looking at hardtail stumpys and a Whyte 905, but these are a load more, have lower spec gear and weigh more.

Views please

Looks bloody good value to me!
Can he not be 'turned' to the retro cause? £1000 would get a very good retro ride ;)

I'll say something contentious now.
£1000 is too much for anything from Halfords. £1000 is enough for a custom machine by lots of builders. And as for secnondhand,, the same amount could get you something that is from the top 99.99% of the elite of the retro stable.
Trust me, Halfords will never make anything in that league.

Boardman = bloody good value for money, the Reba forks alone are ~£400, rear mech is ~£80, over £200 worth of brakes....

All the reviews (owner & magazine) I have seen rate it highly.

Well worth a test if Halfords will let you.

I dislike Halfords as much as most folks, but I have to admit the Boardman & Carrera ranges are superb bike & great value.

Fecking daft to pay for anything brand spanking for a grand.....if he just rides xc etc.
Be patient and wait.....you can get sooooooooooo much more than a Boardman for the money.
I had a mate who worked for Halfords and they had lots of build problems with them....maybe because they were built-up by your average Halfords mechanic?
£1K will get you fully loaded Ti or top drawer Specialized etc if you can be a bit patient.
HB

:LOL:

What's with all this brand and retailer snobbery?

Now I tend to treat what the magazines say with a pinch of salt. Ride one and make up your own mind. At 1000 that spec is incredible.

MTB Pro 08

10/10

£1000 Bike Test

“We literally did a double take when the Boardman first came out of the box; the spec was almost too good to be plausible! From the Reba Race fork through to the SRAM X-0 mech, they really don't seem to have stinted anywhere on this bike.”

“Up front, you notice immediately the chunky internal headset gracing both top and bottom races of the short head tube; a nice touch with gives a quality feel straight away. Nicely finished welds and a solid-feeling paint job seal the deal.”

“With high-end SRAM populating the groupset department, the shifting is nothing short of superb, with accuracy and power as soon as you hit the shifter.”

“Verdict: There really was very little not to like about the Boardman. From the excellent spec to the purposeful riding position, everyone who threw a leg over it instantly took a liking to it. The low weight made climbing a joy when combined with the racy position, and while technical riding was a bit more challenging than on a more relaxed frame, it was more than manageable. The best compliment it got was from a few riders who commented how pleased they would be if they had spent their £1,000 on this bike. And at the end of the day, that's what it's all about.”

Source: mbr
© Copyright mbr magazine

Back