Cracked Hope Mono Mini brake clamp

stevek

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Been in the garage giving the Yeti a darn good clean after the excellent ride in the HoNC when I noticed this on the Moots ss. I've seen pictures of this once before, some guy on STW (I think) posted a pic but I put it down to him over tightening the clamp bolts... perhaps not eh? Anyway, I use Moots ti risers and previously used Easton Carbon Monkeylites so have never dared over tighten the bolts and yet here we have the crack. :cry: I think I've had these brakes for about a year.

I've just sent pics to Hopetech, let's see what they have to say.

Attachments

• Hope crack (Large).JPG
    Hope crack (Large).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 713
  • Hope crack (4) (Large).JPG
    Hope crack (4) (Large).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 713
  • Hope crack (3) (Large).JPG
    Hope crack (3) (Large).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 713
  • Hope crack (1) (Large).JPG
    Hope crack (1) (Large).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 713
it was someone else on here as i remember it . it was during the winter and it was thought to be a result of the freezing wind rushing over it

certainly a design flaw

afraid not

im sure whoever it was will spot this though . quite a few responses and possible causes

id be very surprised if hope doesnt know about it by now

Thanks for that Perry, very interesting. Even more interesting will be what Hope have to say about it...

the old fashioned steel band worked perfectly and could bent to create a more collar like clamp ,whereas these sculpted alloy castings cannot bend and just crack if the bolt is overtightened

And i imagine the weight difference is only a couple of grams

The guys at Hope came good :cool: . Posted the lever / master cylinder assembly on Tuesday, new lever assembly arrived today and is now installed, bled and ready to go!

Thanks Hopetech. :D

Back