Paint experts, what shade of white?

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've just painted my frame in the whitest white i could find, "Appliance White" :?: but the problem is it looks a bit grey in some lights but brilliant white in other lights.

Is it true, to get something looking really white you need a hint of blue? (hence the blue bits in washing powder?)

So what "shade" of white do i use?

Impossible to get pure white as it depends on what the light reflects off. The purest white so far discovered is found on a rare beetles shell that scientists are even now trying to replicate.

Just keep the bike clean and polished to appear as white as possible. ;)

Some paint manufacturers add fluorescent materials to their paint to make it glow whiter than white. The problem is that it is at the expense of durability and goes chalky and dull with time.

On my house I use marine paint on the woodwork. It costs more and looks slightly cream for the first couple of months compared to Dulux. After about a year it looks whiter, and after 5 it's still shiny whereas the Dulux is dull.

It depends on what you are looking for.

Incidentally, I was buying some yacht varnish for my boat the other week. The notes on the tin said "not for marine use"... :LOL:

So i'll just stick with what i've bought already?

All I want it to be is white :LOL:
But go to halpoo, and look at all the white shades in the paint section and none of them are white, they are shades of cream.

Appliance white sounds a bit daft too :roll:

chris667":18xiv746 said:
Incidentally, I was buying some yacht varnish for my boat the other week. The notes on the tin said "not for marine use"... :LOL:

Ha Ha, yes people seem to have woken up to marine stuff being better - so now the B&Q guys are saying this!

What kind of boat? I raced Solos for 20 years, taking a break now while the kids are small. :cry:

chris667":2m5nsyw7 said:

Maybe it just meant it shouldn't be used by burly men in submarines? :D

I keep checking back here expecting some expert to tell me what shade of white to use :?
Its not like Emulsion or Gloss where you can get "Pure Brilliant White", it's all Arctic this or that.

Anyway, my "Appliance White" seems to be rather white :cool:

I'm on final rub down before last coat of laquer.

Back