Quick Q....About Saab's

heathy

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
When did Saab stop being Saab and become Vauxhall :?:

I need to know as i'm looking at a 98 900 turbo, and would rather not have 1 with a vauxhall engine thanks.....

Dilution began in 88 and GM took over in the early 90s, I think.

There's another Saab thread lurking about somewhere.

Any 900 after the longnose is a Cavalier in a pretty dress. That's essentially anything after a K Plate.

Go for a 9-3 rather than a 900 - the handling is much better. The Cavalier-based 900's are not great - very scrabbly for grip.

However, if it's got a turbo engine it's the Saab power unit.
The 3.0V6 was a GM motor, likewise the 2.2 diesels which tend to fail early.

yes look for the engines with the red direct ignition cartridge over the top if the cylinder head - they're the proper engines. Not sure if any of the 900's between about L reg and P reg had them - those were the cavaliers. Some of the 9-3's though did from R reg onwards for a few years.

I think...

Ed, just got back from a quick test drive, seemed ok to me, also under the bonnet there was a red something there, its the 2.0 turbo with a chain for a cam belt [ well thats what he said ] does this sound right to you?

heathy":2sasjgcc said:
Ed, just got back from a quick test drive, seemed ok to me, also under the bonnet there was a red something there, its the 2.0 turbo with a chain for a cam belt [ well thats what he said ] does this sound right to you?

if it looked like this then it's a Saab engine - albeit yours is 2.0 and this is 2.3

Aero_enginerightSM.jpg

I've had to sell it :cry: and i'm starting my own company with the money ;) So this will be a cheep runabout for a while, seems you can get a lot for cheep money, looking at 1 with full leather,cruise amongst a whole load of other refinements.

Back