Lowest stack height head set? Steerer tube extender?

Dr.Robotnik

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I have been given a set of Manitou Black forks but they have a smaller steerer tube than I need.

Is there anyway of getting a new steerer tube?

Or can I have it extended in some way?

Finally what is the current lowest stack height headset?

Cheers

Crank brothers iodine headset has the lowest 21mm stack height.
Not cheap though. I recall WTB greaseguard is fairly low.

I used (as well posh26) a German company that did a great job on extending the steer tube for about £50 turn around was a week

Thanks RC300, I will look into that headset.

tintin40":1rb1knkv said:
I used (as well posh26) a German company that did a great job on extending the steer tube for about £50 turn around was a week

This however sounds ideal, can you remember the name of the company or send me a URL link or something please?

Dr.Robotnik":14eun5mq said:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3970

Sorry should have googled first.

Are these any good though? Anyone used one?

Cheers

I have one of these and I couldn't get it to work. It kept slipping. Maybe I hadn't done it right :roll:

Dr.Robotnik":s5235f82 said:
Thanks RC300, I will look into that headset.

tintin40":s5235f82 said:

This however sounds ideal, can you remember the name of the company or send me a URL link or something please?

Sorry just look through most of my old posts but can't find it. Perhaps ask Posh26?

I'm not that into MTB stuff, so presume youre steerer is 1 1/8. If so, then its relativley easy for a frame builder. A short length of spare 1in steerer acts an internal sleeve on which to extend with another piece of 1 1/8 steerer. Easy stuff for your local framebuilder and should be significantly less than the £50 quoted, esp if your steerer detaches, so paint on the fork isnt an issue. Downside is the weight of internal sleeve.

Back