Which Model of hope do you like best

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
And whats your reasons behind it :?

I'm looking to buy a set of Hope discys for my next build[a clean lined alloy commuter with slicks and 1x8 gearing]
As i've only ever used Hope i'd prefer to stick to them and as ive only ever used to C2 model,I'd like to hear what other models, other members have used O2,mini etc
And how they'd compare against each other for power, modulation and all them other buzz words :LOL:

My thoughts on the C2 model is they're powerful[ :roll: ] and ive never felt them fade or the need to 'pump' them,the pro lever looks nice but you're limited to 3 fingers where as the sport lever you could get all fingers around,but with such braking power do you really need 4 fingers on the lever
on general roady stuff i only ever used one finger.
I also found them very easy to adjust with the top cap adjuster but im not sure if all are as easy to use

If you havent used discs please feel free to say why. :D
Inquisition starts :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mk1 and 2 Cable - better than you'd expect, but not the best.
Good modulation
Slight movement noticeable in the pads when braking at very slow speeds.
Seems to work better in the wet, but that could be the patina(or metal equivalent) on the disk as it is now 18 years old.
It weighs an absolute ton.

[theboy] have you tried other models ?and why did you like the mono m4

I think a hope timeline would help me judge the developments and pick whats best without getting too modern

[TheKen]Talking of wet ,has there been any further development on that damned annoying squealing when you're out in the rain?

My rear Hope C2 had a 150mm disc that looked like it belonged to a motorbike it was very solid with few vents and it didnt squeal too much ,the front however was the regular skinny rotor @ 185mm and it sounded like you were trying to slaughter a pig with a spoon :LOL:

Im hearing of 'floating rotor' what does this mean?,is it an attempt to cut down on the noise or is there another reason :?

used c2s in the past and the pro is my prefered lever . how long until scant mentions the dial :LOL: stop riding the brakes scant and you will go quicker :LOL: :LOL:

currently have a mono mini on the front 160mm and an older mini on the rear

cant say i notice a great deal of difference . no adjustment at the lever and my finger doesnt like the shame as much as the older pro . worth noting that being an open self adjusting system i cant leave the bike upside down for too long otherwise the oil wants out

the mono mini is a single piece caliper so its nice and compact

the vents in the disc drag mud across the pads , so go for something nice and solid if you go through a lot of mud , pads might not last you more than 30 miles

an old mini will probably be about right for you

The older style (pre-200:cool: Mono Mini's I had were awful. They needed to be pumped up, leaked constantly and faded horribly; hated every moment of owning them.

New Mono M4's just work, faultlessly with phenomenal power and great feel (and they look cool).

my first hopes were the c2's, really liked them, love the look of the pro lever assembly, great here in the uk but when in the alps the pump up due to heat is very irritating!

carried on using mini's after that for the uk, all good, never had any issues, all powerful and light and look good.

used mostly m4's original and mono's in the alps, people always say they suck out there but i never had any problems, always stopped when needed and never blew up. also used 6pot ti's one year, very good but no more powerful than m4's (even hope told me that)

last year in the alps i took my ST4, it's got mini mono's on it, had no problems at all

i'd have to say the most recent mini's are my favourite for function and looks, here's mine, all silver, braided hoses and floating rotors :D

Attachments

• st4 pics 012resize.jpg
    st4 pics 012resize.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 950
  • st4 pics 011resize.jpg
    st4 pics 011resize.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 950
Back