What do the Glasses wearers do on a bike?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
One for the bins brigade here...

I am a glasses wearer and it's got to teh stage where i can't really read without them. and pick out detail etc. so Driving is definately a no no without them. But I've realised that i still ride without. and it might explain my diminishing nerve and technical ability off road. (or maybe that's just age... :LOL: )

anyway, just been presented with a quote for a conversion of my M Frames...and....

:shock: :shock: :shock: £300-£400 odd!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

that's obviously a problem.

Thoughts? Advice?

:?

Sorry I can't help as I have perfect vision, but talk to the guy in Blue Flame in Arundel or his shop in Rustingto. Has helped out a few friends with the same problem for a lot less than £400

I bet you didn't need your glasses to see that price quote :shock: :shock: :LOL:

I use photochromatic prescription lenses from Optilabs. They have about 8 different frames suitable for cycling, fitted with lenses for under £155.

The photochromatic lenses have been fine for me for about 4 1/2 years so far and I've used them everywhere from Moab in mid-summer to mid-winternight rides in the UK.

£300-£400 odd :shock: :shock: :shock:

Unless you've got a complicated/strong prescription like mine then the lenses should be cheaper. Over 300 quid is probably a rip off for converting frames when I paid 298 all in for new glasses

regurgitating from my post on prescription sunnies

I've got the Adidas elevation sunglasses and they're brilliant. Most sunglasses companies will only do prescription lenses up to +/- 4. Adidas were able to deal with my -10 prescription. I know I can't see beyond the end of my nose...........

http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/AdidasEle ... maCool.asp

the glasses were about £120 (incl dark and orange lens) + £28 for the insert for the prescription lenses and then another £150 (ouch!) for the lenses. The optician I used was great and experience has shown most are pretty rubbish at dealing with sunglasses and my prescription

This is the least offensive pic of them that I have. You can see the inserts
3361995615_7b001908a4_o.jpg

Of course you could always some retro NHS tortoise shell frames and get cheap lenses from some where like Specsavers

thought about contact lenses - even if it's just for riding?

I converted to contacts in 1992 because of sport and haven't looked back since (if you'll excuse the pun :roll: ). Gas permeable set will cost £140 and last for several years if cared for.

I'm supposed to wear them reading, driving and on the computer....I don't bother on the bike though :LOL:

I know that doesn't really help....sorry ;)

Shout "beep" and listen for the echos? I don't like to drive without my glasses but seem to cope OK on the bike. In the past I have used Bolle shades with inserts similar to the ones above. From memory the inserts cost £35 from D and A plus the Bolles.
On an unusually optimistic front (for me), as my eyes 'weaken' with age (the usual thing that measn reading glasses for most), the lens' are actually moving towards a perfect shape. By the time I am 50 I will have perfect vision.

Yes that works if you are shortsighted to start with I believe, as you get long sighted with age. Howerver if you have astigmatism (as I do in one eye at least) then you'll always have bad eyesight :LOL:

My eyes got as bad as -4.75, but are now back to -3.0 as I've got older.

can't face contacts.

to be fair, this wasn't the optician converting my lenses as much as it was Oakley quoting for a set of official M Frame sweeps with prescriptions in them.

the inserts look alright. don't they run a little close to the eye? My m frames are so close as it is i rekcon you would be pushed to get an insert in there too.

:?

Back