nyc cycle licencing

perry

Retrobike Rider
post titled freconomics

http://bikehacks.com/

interesting quote

"It is estimated that cars have killed more people in history than all wars have combined"

oh and if you like the technical aspects of cycling on a budget stick with bikehacks its a good read

Estimated by who? A pro-cycling lobby definately.

About 72million people were killed during WW2 alone and the motor car was first produced in 1880 (roughly). Car drivers would have had to be killing peds at a rate of over 1500 people per day just to account for WW2.

Seems a lot to me... maybe thats the point! Frightening statistic if it is true.

Russell":r7ph4jcx said:
Estimated by who? A pro-cycling lobby definately.

About 72million people were killed during WW2 alone and the motor car was first produced in 1880 (roughly). Car drivers would have had to be killing peds at a rate of over 1500 people per day just to account for WW2.

Seems a lot to me... maybe thats the point! Frightening statistic if it is true.

the world war 2 stats are 50-70 million but no one will every truly know but have to agree cars cant have killed that many people off over the years its to crazy to be true

Well in the UK you have a legal right to ride as a bicycle is defined in law as 'an aid to pedestrianism' - and you don't need a license to walk down a road either.

In the UK the tax disc is Vehicle Excise Duty. You don't have to pay on two counts:
1 It's not a vehicle (see above)
2 It would be in the zero emission tax band anyway.

ALSO (see I'm getting mad now) a bike does about 1000th of the damage to a road of a car (due to its low weight).

So if I paid the VED proportionate to my real wearing out of the road: damage (1/1000) and mileage (5,000pa compared to 10k for an average British car) then that makes me owe just over 9p.

perry":1n6mamo8 said:
"It is estimated that cars have killed more people in history than all wars have combined"

That remainds me of one I heard the other day, something like:

"There are more people alive now than have EVER died!" :? :shock: :?:

hamster":1qd56n3n said:
Well in the UK you have a legal right to ride as a bicycle is defined in law as 'an aid to pedestrianism' - and you don't need a license to walk down a road either.

In the UK the tax disc is Vehicle Excise Duty. You don't have to pay on two counts:
1 It's not a vehicle (see above)
2 It would be in the zero emission tax band anyway.

ALSO (see I'm getting mad now) a bike does about 1000th of the damage to a road of a car (due to its low weight).

So if I paid the VED proportionate to my real wearing out of the road: damage (1/1000) and mileage (5,000pa compared to 10k for an average British car) then that makes me owe just over 9p.
For years it was law to buy a liscense in Los Angeles. You had to go to the police station, walk into the lobby, ask the desk sargent for a liscense. This was to aid in recovering stolen bikes. Just last year the city council voted to dispense with it not because nobody did it anymore, but because it was not politically correct to ask illegals to volutarily approach a police officer. The crazy thing is most illegals that ride bikes are riding stolen bikes, and LAPD has a hands off policy in response to profiling. :roll:

Back