Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:01 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: nyc cycle licencing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:28 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: rutland
post titled freconomics

http://bikehacks.com/

interesting quote

"It is estimated that cars have killed more people in history than all wars have combined"

oh and if you like the technical aspects of cycling on a budget stick with bikehacks its a good read


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
Estimated by who? A pro-cycling lobby definately.

About 72million people were killed during WW2 alone and the motor car was first produced in 1880 (roughly). Car drivers would have had to be killing peds at a rate of over 1500 people per day just to account for WW2.

Seems a lot to me... maybe thats the point! Frightening statistic if it is true.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:12 pm
Posts: 3900
Location: The Shire
As pro cycling as I am, I'd really like to know where they sourced their figures. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:51 pm 
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:26 am
Posts: 6045
Location: LOWESTOFT the worlds smallest bore fest
Russell wrote:
Estimated by who? A pro-cycling lobby definately.

About 72million people were killed during WW2 alone and the motor car was first produced in 1880 (roughly). Car drivers would have had to be killing peds at a rate of over 1500 people per day just to account for WW2.

Seems a lot to me... maybe thats the point! Frightening statistic if it is true.


the world war 2 stats are 50-70 million but no one will every truly know but have to agree cars cant have killed that many people off over the years its to crazy to be true


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:58 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:28 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: rutland
share in the cost :x how about they fook right off

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/03/17/bic ... -the-road/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:52 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 8204
Location: New Forest, UK
Well in the UK you have a legal right to ride as a bicycle is defined in law as 'an aid to pedestrianism' - and you don't need a license to walk down a road either.

In the UK the tax disc is Vehicle Excise Duty. You don't have to pay on two counts:
1 It's not a vehicle (see above)
2 It would be in the zero emission tax band anyway.

ALSO (see I'm getting mad now) a bike does about 1000th of the damage to a road of a car (due to its low weight).

So if I paid the VED proportionate to my real wearing out of the road: damage (1/1000) and mileage (5,000pa compared to 10k for an average British car) then that makes me owe just over 9p.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: nyc cycle licencing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:30 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 169
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
perry wrote:

"It is estimated that cars have killed more people in history than all wars have combined"


That remainds me of one I heard the other day, something like:

"There are more people alive now than have EVER died!" :? :shock: :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:10 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 1198
Location: USA
hamster wrote:
Well in the UK you have a legal right to ride as a bicycle is defined in law as 'an aid to pedestrianism' - and you don't need a license to walk down a road either.

In the UK the tax disc is Vehicle Excise Duty. You don't have to pay on two counts:
1 It's not a vehicle (see above)
2 It would be in the zero emission tax band anyway.

ALSO (see I'm getting mad now) a bike does about 1000th of the damage to a road of a car (due to its low weight).

So if I paid the VED proportionate to my real wearing out of the road: damage (1/1000) and mileage (5,000pa compared to 10k for an average British car) then that makes me owe just over 9p.

For years it was law to buy a liscense in Los Angeles. You had to go to the police station, walk into the lobby, ask the desk sargent for a liscense. This was to aid in recovering stolen bikes. Just last year the city council voted to dispense with it not because nobody did it anymore, but because it was not politically correct to ask illegals to volutarily approach a police officer. The crazy thing is most illegals that ride bikes are riding stolen bikes, and LAPD has a hands off policy in response to profiling. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: videojetman and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group