Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Had a phone call from Paypal's debt collection agency

I now owe Paypal £479 instead of the original £423

They claim I withdrew the money into a HSBC account - I dont actually have a HSBC account....

It was the first human contact I've had with Paypal, the email replies have just been automated or scripted standard responses. The phone number is useless.

I've sent yet another email and will try again to contact them but its gonna be a long haul.

similar thing happened to my boss, they sent in debt collection company in the end coz he kept saying piss off! wasn't the best way to deal with them. the debt collection guy said that paypal not being a bank just a holding company meant they didn't have to abide by the banking code (not that banks seem to either recently! :LOL: ) the debt guy said seeing for himself the exremes they go to he would never use paypal!!

i recently opened a paypal account and when i hear of these issues my ringpiece tightens!!

jonnyboy666":358fddbd said:
similar thing happened to my boss, they sent in debt collection company in the end coz he kept saying piss off! wasn't the best way to deal with them. the debt collection guy said that paypal not being a bank just a holding company meant they didn't have to abide by the banking code (not that banks seem to either recently! :LOL: ) the debt guy said seeing for himself the exremes they go to he would never use paypal!!

i recently opened a paypal account and when i hear of these issues my ringpiece tightens!!

what happened in the end?

This is outrageous. They've ignored your efforts to put things right, and now they've passed your details onto a company who are chasing you for money you don't owe, despite numerous attempts to sort it out on your part.. I'd get some advice before this goes any further. Perhaps Consumer Direct, on 08454 04 05 06? They're very good and don't cost anything other than a phone call.
If you can, record the conversations you have with them on the phone, and keep all your correspondence and emails. BBC Watchdog might be interested in this.
Let us know how you get on.

Oh great!! I've just started using PayPal ... about 10 minutes ago, and now I'm hearing scary stories .... NOT GOOD!!!! :?

chris667":14tu2iie said:
This is outrageous. They've ignored your efforts to put things right, and now they've passed your details onto a company who are chasing you for money you don't owe, despite numerous attempts to sort it out on your part.. I'd get some advice before this goes any further. Perhaps Consumer Direct, on 08454 04 05 06? They're very good and don't cost anything other than a phone call.
If you can, record the conversations you have with them on the phone, and keep all your correspondence and emails. BBC Watchdog might be interested in this.
Let us know how you get on.

Actually manged to speak to an Americanised Irish lady who has passed this on to the relevent department.

Have been told to inform Debt collections that it has been reported as fraud...

Doesnt stop them hassling me though.

I had this problem with Barclaycard a coupla years ago, someone copied my card somewhere and they accused me of sending money to the Lebanon ... I am now apparently supporting Hezbullah!!!! :shock:

It took me a coupla goes to persuade them that I have never sent money there, but I got there in the end and they refunded ... so I wish you the best of luck!!

Lx

Back