B.S.O. Alert! Pictures Too

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Despite reading all the warnings in a previous thread, it looks like I am going to be lumbered with one of these damned Bicycle Shaped Objects very soon. I mentioned somewhere that I had to repair a friend of my daughter's bike as the front brake was mangled and didn't work.
Well, her brother's is ten times worse.
Front brake: Don't work.
Back brake: Can't even move it.
Rear Gears: See above.
Front gears: No chance.
Front suspension: 2mm (with my not inconsiderable weight!)
Rear suspension: 2mm (up and down)
Rear suspension: Around 50mm (side to side).

The skip would appear to be its best destination, but its not that old! I am not een going to bother with the suspension as all the bushes look like they are made of Baby Bels.

What are my chances of getting the brakes/gears sorted? Even a little bit just so he can stop and go?

What have I done?

Having worked with BSO's....

You should be able to get both brakes working again, usually requires new cables (possible inner & outer) and a bit of fettling & lube. If the levers/brake arms are plastic they will flex, but will work well enough to stop you.

Same applies for the gears, fit new cables and lube the mech's and they should (with a little persuasion) come back to life

Don't bother with the suspension (unless any bolts are loose), they come like that from new.

Full XTR all round, may as well get him some shimano airlines to solve the problem of sticky shifting. Brake wise some nice hopes should sort it. The play in the rear suspension, thats easy, just call it 2 wheel steering.

I dont see what your problem is :p

it will have passed british safety at some point so it wont be so bad as to need everything replacing, itl just be crap :LOL:

lube everything that moves and everything will need adjusting . is the lad attentive ? see if he will help , will stand him in good steed for the future and give him a pride in his possessions

i think you will now have the title " that bike guy " :LOL:

chris667":2usnoc6l said:
How old is he?

About 11 I think. Perry, it's already happening. It's amazing how many dads/mums can't even tighten a barrel adjuster so their kid can stop if a car pulls out or something.
I know I tend to be a tad odd, fitting XT Vs and an M735 mech to Charlies' Islabike is on my to do list, but don't most people know the absolute basics?

Iwasgoodonce":1xgwzaek said:
It's amazing how many dads/mums can't even tighten a barrel adjuster so their kid can stop if a car pulls out or something.

don't most people know the absolute basics?
Nope, most parents don't know or can't be bothered to try to fix a bike these days.

whats scary is how many seemingly normal people dont have a grasp of even the most simplest of mechanical principals . thats why i reckon you should try and get the lad involved , even watching would be a start

Iwasgoodonce":3n1ayq9m said:
I know I tend to be a tad odd, fitting XT Vs and an M735 mech to Charlies' Islabike is on my to do list, but don't most people know the absolute basics?

XT? When they drag the thing on the ground etc? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sora's good enough for my son's Islabike.

Back