The First things I learned when I started work . ..

TheGreenRabbit

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Inspired by this thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54618

I just wanted to share these pearls of wisdom.

1 - Never turn down a cup of tea when on a job.

1.a - Never accept a cup of tea in a interview as sods law means you will spill it down yourself.

2 - Always drink the tea, or look like you have. If you dont do this you might not get another one.

3 - How to sweep up.

4 - How to sit on a spade.

First thing I learnt when i was a whipper snapper going into a car industry stores.....

Older folk are cool .... Not old farts!! :D

We had all the old rover boys, Never enjoyed my work so much :D

The first thing I learned in my first job (hand-washing cars at the local used car dealership, aged 13):

If they ask you to make the tea, make it badly. They won't ask again.

love it.....we had fun rewiring 300 flats in yarmouth in 93......everytime the inspectors would come round to pointlessly make our lives harder we would get a chippie to say we were in one flat at the other end of the estate so we could hide up in another ...would take them ages to find us....my friend on his first day as a trainee sparks blew up a dewalt hammer drill at a cost of 500 quid and then drilled through a boiler(a full one) at the bottem so badly over 300 litres of water went thru the ceiling into the flat below..poor grannie yelled at him and made him cry..i went and had a look ...oh boy it was horrrrrrer bul........it looked like it was raining indoors...... :shock:

one-eyed_jim":4cv6x1kw said:
The first thing I learned in my first job (hand-washing cars at the local used car dealership, aged 13):

I worked for a guy who tried this, he got told he need the practice, and had to make it all the time. The boss also told this guy not to spit in his tea, every time he made it, he never did, but after a harsh shouting match he went off to make the tea and I found him wipping his k**b around the rim of the bosses cup.

daj":1ght04by said:
We had all the old rover boys, Never enjoyed my work so much :D

see us ex rover boys are a laugh!!!
but surely you mean british leyland for when you was a young whipper snapper???? lololololololol

rob

poor grannie yelled at him and made him cry

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i found out pretty quickly that doing twice as much as the people who had been there for years doesnt make you popular

and when on a site if in doubt just say health and safety . there was no way i was pointing the chimney while stood on a ladder :roll: and if your cutting a scaff pole cut it to a usefull size :LOL:

a quick job means 2 days

day rate means slow the fook down

well see how the weather goes means 5mins after you have gotten used to the idea the rain wont stop and you will be home in an hour you will be getting wet

if you had left work for the day on the grounds of being rained off , once you have organised a ride when inevitably the rain stops dont answer the phone to your work colleagues :LOL:

are you coming into work today ? means your 3 day week is wearing thin with the people you work with

one-eyed_jim":982vm1kr said:

The other thing you should do is to use all the best bits for your tea. Pour yours first so you don't get any lime scale in it and use the milk first especially if you've just opened it so you get the cream (not so common in milk these days :( ).

don't believe your manager when he sends you to the post office on your first day to buy an industrial hoover licence :roll: :LOL:

Back