Help with modern terminology required.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Before I throw this away and swear never to touch anything newer than 1994 again can someone offer me some wise words? I have a Focus bike that I have had to put a shorter stem on. Now I can't get the headset tightened without play. The headtube has 'bulges' top and bottom. Does this mean it is 'integrated'? The headset has Ritchey on it (Why Tom, WHY?) and seems to fit together logically, (ooh a pun). I had to get a different spacer, could this be it?
I got the bike out as a break from 'teach myself HTML and web pages'. I might go back to that as it's less stressful.

Thanks!

Stack height of the new stem slightly less than that of the old one? - in other words is the top cap tightening down on the top of the steerer tube, not the stem, and not applying any pre-load to the headset bearings ?

It sounds like integrated,they tighten just like any a-headset.Make sure there isn't too much steerer pocking through,you may need another spacer on top of your stem.

Thanks very much guys. I think it needed another 2mm of spacer. Also the base of the original cone shaped spacer was slightly concaved. I have bodged a piece cut from some waste pipe and shaped with a knife. It seems to be tight now. The only play is from the worst so called suspension forks in the world. Why Suntour, WHY!?

Tanks again.

Agency_Scum":2hlwkwbd said:
URGENT: YOU NEED A NICE BIG CUP OF TEA!

Consider it soon to be done! Moved on to the V brakes now. Edit. Had to call a halt. Went up to pick up my daughter from her friend's house and looked at the friend's little bike as I went through the garage. The front brake wasn't ever going to work again as the noodle was mangled beyond hope. Have sacraficed the Focus's for now as I can't stand unsafe kiddies bikes!

Back