Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:49 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:19 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

anone know anything about the "sale of goods act" ?

my ps3 wont read any discs i put in it :( ..... its only 15 months old ( 3 months out of warranty).
Ive phoned consumer direct and they have told me i have the right to expect it to last a "reasonable period of time"... as i dont think just over a year is reasonable.. i want it fixed for free !!!, (especially as its a well documented problem with early ps3s).

has anyone else ever been succesfull getting electrical goods fixed free out of warranty ?
ive sent a letter to the shop where i purchased it... but i have a feeling they arnt going to co-operate :evil:
what are my chances of taking them to court and winning ?

any tips or comments appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Why not bypass the shop and have a word with Sony themselves. Sometimes if you make a fuss the manufacturers will sometimes sort you out as a goodwill gesture.

You've got nothing to loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:50 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

ive phoned sony... they said they will fix it for £100 !!!!
they havnt even looked at it... so how do they know its going to cost £100 ? :? :roll:
and apparently however unfair it may seem.... the sale of goods act is a contract between me and the place of purchase.. Not the manufactuer :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:16 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

coming from retail, your best coarse of action would be to go to the shop and speak to the manager as its very easy to ignore a letter. if that doesn't work go to the companies customer services dept. retail is a very fragile thing at the moment so companies do not want any complaints. other than that if you know anyone who's got a ps3 with warrenty left, get them to take your one back as theirs. companies very rarely record serial numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:28 pm 
Retro Guru

magicmistertea wrote:
the sale of goods act is a contract between me and the place of purchase.. Not the manufactuer :?

thats always been the case.is it a 60gb ps3?
a quick scout around google shows this to be a very common problem and also that sony will not do it for free if its out of warranty.
it looks like a fairly simple repair to replace the laser for around £50,dont forget its a bluray laser so more expensive...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLAYSTATION-3-BLU ... 240%3A1318

i would say swallow your pride and get a spare part :) you are not going to get anywhere with sony or the shop,we are in a recession and aint gonna get nothing for free :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Slack on Sony's part me's thinks if its a known fault. At least Microsoft fested up about the red ring of death and freely fixed 360's out of warranty! Mine was 2 years old when it expired and came back better then ever free of charge. I have no idea why Sony won't do the same.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:14 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

stew-b wrote:
magicmistertea wrote:
the sale of goods act is a contract between me and the place of purchase.. Not the manufactuer :?

thats always been the case.is it a 60gb ps3?
a quick scout around google shows this to be a very common problem and also that sony will not do it for free if its out of warranty.
it looks like a fairly simple repair to replace the laser for around £50,dont forget its a bluray laser so more expensive...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLAYSTATION-3-BLU ... 240%3A1318

i would say swallow your pride and get a spare part :) you are not going to get anywhere with sony or the shop,we are in a recession and aint gonna get nothing for free :(

yea it is the 60gig !!! how did you know? conumer direct tellme that the shop are still liable even though its out of warranty..as its not a reasnable amount of time for it to last... we will see !!! if i have to pay to get it fixed i will...but i dont see why i should? its a known fault and it should last longer tha a year :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:17 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

right on !!!!!!
I just thought id update this thread as sending a letter to the shop stating the "sale of goods act 1979" which entitles me to expext that my machine should be of satisfactory quality and should last a reasonable period of time Actually Works !!!

my ps3 is 3 months out of warranty and due to the SOGA 1979 the shop has now agreed to fix it for free !!! :D .

According to consumer direct this applies to all electrical goods, in the UK you have up to 6 years to claim :shock: .
its just most people dont know there rights and dont bother writing the letters. basically extended warranty is a waste of money !!! as you statitory rights still apply even after the 12 month warranty is up.
anyway its just saved me a £100 fee from sony to fix it !!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:22 pm 
Retro Guru

result :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:38 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

my mate had a similar result with his tv, got an engineer out to replace the part for free