Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:06 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:51 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

want to swap out the crank and bottom bracket from the RM Stratos. The original stink'n spindle is so long that my old internal 20 spline bb tool can't reach the cup, as it's a closed socket type, as opposed to some open wrench types i see out there now.

i got off the LH non drive side no prob as it's shorter. and the replacement octalink bb is shorter too so installing won't be a problem. am i SOL and either need to buy another BB tool, which i'll prob never use again, or take it to a LBS and pay them to do it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

RockiMtn wrote:
want to swap out the crank and bottom bracket from the RM Stratos. The original stink'n spindle is so long that my old internal 20 spline bb tool can't reach the cup, as it's a closed socket type, as opposed to some open wrench types i see out there now.

i got off the LH non drive side no prob as it's shorter. and the replacement octalink bb is shorter too so installing won't be a problem. am i SOL and either need to buy another BB tool, which i'll prob never use again, or take it to a LBS and pay them to do it?

I bit the bullit and bought a £8 BB tool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

yeah, i'm thinking i'll be doing one or the other. i don't like paying someone else to do what i can do perfectly fine. but i don't have the proper tool. and i already have the tool and it's redundant for me to go out and buy another one. especially since i don't see myself needing this 2nd bb tool after this one job. :(

i already bought a 2nd crank arm extractor recently since my old one would work for either of the 03 RM. but i know i can and will make use of that.