View
Shamelessly taken from the STW website:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/03/freak-of-the-week/

img_0757.jpg

img_0755.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kinda cool :cool:

More here >>>> http://www.onefgear.co.uk/OneFgear/Welcome.html

I think that'll be the rumoured "reversi two speed" system - one gear when pedalling forwards, another one when pedalling backwards.

Look carefully at the chain to see what I mean.

grahame":39oqfrcf said:
I think that'll be the rumoured "reversi two speed" system - one gear when pedalling forwards, another one when pedalling backwards.

Look carefully at the chain to see what I mean.

Although this particlar example seems to have both sprockets the same size ????

I built one of these a few years ago. Great novelty bike but the reverse pedalling action takes a bit of getting used to and offers little advantage. Those STW swine following my lead, again!

Very clever, but also very pointless. What happens if you have to move the pedals to a different position when you're starting off?

It works. I saw a guy on one riding the Round IOW last year (a 1920's French bike which weighed about 40lb, complete with string of onions).

He had done the last PBP on it INSIDE the time limit! :shock: :shock: :shock:

But it's really odd seeing someone pedalling backwards!

The only thing you cannot do is roll the bike backwards - this locks the back wheel.

Yep , the french bike is called a Hirondelle and was made at the beginning of the 20th century .

Tried one of those myself.
The difficulty is mounting two freewheels side by side. The inner one cannot have removal slots as this would stop the outer one being installed.
The screw on hub threads can be extended by overlapping the inner freewheel threads between the hub and a right hand bottom bracket cup onto which the second freewheel can be mounted.
Remember to have the freewheels of the same pitch, 1/8" pitch beside a 3/32" does not work :oops:
I found low gear in normal direction pedalling to get the bike going with higher gear in reverse worked best ;)

As seen in the book 'The Dancing Chain' as an early multi-gear design early in 20th century in France as mentioned above.

Never seen one in use though. Interesting use of a chain tensioner.

Back