Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:38 pm 
Retro Guru

MAXTHEROTTI wrote:
missmyfat wrote:
MAXTHEROTTI wrote:
unknown vintage but heard mr mcrae say it many times
'if in doubt flat out'
respect is due

rob

Hence just the one title and that him and his son are dead. :roll:

thats a bit harsh (esp as the saying was when he was driving rally stages)
rob[/quote}

But true IMO. The mans talent deserved more than the one title but he spent too much time in the scenery converting his car into a coupe. Never knew when to back off, to finish first you must first finish and all that.
The helicopter crash was due to him performing dangerous maneovres in a type of helicopter he was not qualified to fly. Grossly irresponsible with 3 passengers including 2 children in his hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:40 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

fair point and sort of agree
but still a awsome talent lost

rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:44 pm 
Retro Guru

Back to quotes, two of my faves

Mexican man "What were they psychos?"

George Clooney "Do psychos explode when sunlight hits them!"
From Dusk till Dawn.

&

Micheal Caine "Your only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
The Italian Job (classic!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 pm 
Retro Guru

MAXTHEROTTI wrote:
fair point and sort of agree
but still a awsome talent lost

rob

You will get no arguement from me there Rob, will always be the best in my eyes (thats why only one title just does not do his talent justice)
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:23 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Quote:
The helicopter crash was due to him performing dangerous maneovres in a type of helicopter he was not qualified to fly. Grossly irresponsible with 3 passengers including 2 children in his hands.

What absolute rubbish. Where on earth did you get that from?
I knew Colin and I'll tell you now that he never messed about when it came to flying, he said that those things were much cleverer than him and demanded utter respect. He really took it serious and his flying ability was to a very high level. He was also flying his regular Helicoptor at the time- he had done thousands of hours in that machine so no lack of experience. It was an accident, no showing off, no more risky than any flight.
I don't know what happened that particular day but I am sure what you have heard is utter tosh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:26 pm 
98+ BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

Abraham Lincoln

and an old favourite:

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.

Seneca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Dr S wrote:
Quote:

What absolute rubbish. Where on earth did you get that from?
I knew Colin and I'll tell you now that he never messed about when it came to flying, he said that those things were much cleverer than him and demanded utter respect. He really took it serious and his flying ability was to a very high level. He was also flying his regular Helicoptor at the time- he had done thousands of hours in that machine so no lack of experience. It was an accident, no showing off, no more risky than any flight.
I don't know what happened that particular day but I am sure what you have heard is utter tosh.

Well I do not claim to know everyone but I can read news. Google it. This one of many results.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... 1466?f=rss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:47 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

"its better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you havent done...."

"....and by the way, if you see your mum this weekend, be sure to tell her Satan satan satan satan!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 pm 

missmyfat wrote:
Well I do not claim to know everyone but I can read news. Google it. This one of many results.

http://news.sky.Colin-McRae-Helicopter- ... 1466?f=rss

Well maybe you could read the actual AAIB accident report and the resulting Operational Review Document that Eurocopter issued shortly after the AAIB report, you will learn much more than the sensational crap that the media write to flog papers. The fact that McRae had allowed his licence to expire had nothing to do with the accident. It was a simple clerical error caused by the changeover from UK 'for life' licences and the JAR 5 year licence. He had also flown 490 hours in the Eurocopter- hardly inexperienced in that type of craft.
The conclusion of the AAIB was that there was no clear indication of the cause of accident. Bird strike, passenger interference or Servo tranparency phenonomen were all possibilities (STP is where the pilot has the impression that the controls are jamed)- there was evidence that a corrective measure was being attempted at point of impact that could point to the later. Unfortunately the scumbags that write newspapers don't pick on these parts of the report. They take the juicy bits that sell papers which then gets twisted and repeated ad infinitum on forums around the globe. Not very nice for the family I can tell you.
So can we leave this here at this point? I like to think that the average RB member is above sensationalist gutter journalism and will seek out a more balanced view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:16 am 
Retro Guru

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike."
Delos B. McKown

"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend "
Richard Jeni

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."
Emo Philips

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next